Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Remedies to reduce a childs fever other than with meds??? Fever of 102° now

Does any1 know any home remedies to reduce fevers? My child is allergic yo Ibuprofen/Advil &I I've been giving Tylenol but its not helping... & it wont drop below 101-100°.

<3 ... Firefighters Never Die, They Just Burn Forever In The Hearts Of The People Whose Lives They Saved ... <3 

BVFD 328

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 5:01 AM
2 moms liked this

If you can keep the fever at 101 or less that's best, but it's trying to kill the virus, which is a good thing. It's miserable I know, but just keep giving him drinks and popsicles and tylenol.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this

go to the health food store and see what kind of remedies they have for your son...try this:  kids can take it too

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM
102 is not high. Do a bath. Fevers are good. Fighting off a virus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM
My dd 's had the flu before. They had fevers a whole week from 102 to 104. They were fine and survived.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I found this on babycenter.com when I googled child, bath, reduce fever

Not usually. If your child has a temperature under 103 degrees F and is eating and acting okay, you don't need to do anything to bring his fever down. In fact, because a fever can help your child fight an infection, it's a good idea to let it run its course.

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I have heard to let the fever run its course so that the illness is fought natrually. The article above warned about if there is a history of febrile seizures.

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Not drinking may make him feel more miserable as he gets dehydrated. Try to tempt him with a well-iced drink with a straw. Tell him to take one sip, then later another sip. If his throat hurts and this is why he isn't drinking, then he should get medical care. The urgent care center should at least look in his throat.

-PB
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM

This...

Quoting atlmom2:

102 is not high. Do a bath. Fevers are good. Fighting off a virus.

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM

How is he today? If he still isn't drinking take him to get medical care. Dehydration can make a person feel miserable.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Why are you wanting to stop the fever from doing its job?  Unless the child is miserable let the body do what it was made to do.  reducing fevers for no good reason can actually prolong or worsen the illness as fevers are the bodies response to attack and fight the bad guys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)