Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Remedies to reduce a childs fever other than with meds??? Fever of 102° now

Does any1 know any home remedies to reduce fevers? My child is allergic yo Ibuprofen/Advil &I I've been giving Tylenol but its not helping... & it wont drop below 101-100°.

<3 ... Firefighters Never Die, They Just Burn Forever In The Hearts Of The People Whose Lives They Saved ... <3 

BVFD 328

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I use these with my son and they really help! :o) 

Be Koool Soft Gel Sheets for Kids

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is a link for more information on them.

http://www.drugstore.com/be-koool-soft-gel-sheets-for-kids/qxp88938

ManthaCole9406
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Why are you wanting to stop the fever from doing its job?  Unless the child is miserable let the body do what it was made to do.  reducing fevers for no good reason can actually prolong or worsen the illness as fevers are the bodies response to attack and fight the bad guys.

When the fever is taking a toll on the body to the point he's broke out in a fevered rash, is tremoring, so miserable all he can do is cry all night & dizzy is when I dont want the fever to do its job anymore! I was so terrified he was going to go into febrile seizures I couldn't sleep... However... We just got in from Urgent Care. This am he was ok, still feeling a little woozy & I gave him some Vicks Flu & Cold syrup & he was able to keep it down all day. However, he had STILL not ate anything but did drink a little juice box. At dinner he wouldn't even eat two bites of steak & when he did he started havin stomach pains & had to puke. Turns out, he has Influenza strands A & B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So it WAS the Flu after all (as I figured)... They did a urinalysis on him & it showed positive for bilirubin and had a low specific gravity & decided to give IV Fluids. & he was a trooper!!!!!! All of the pharmacies in my town are out of Tamiflu so I have to wait until tomorrow to TRY to get the prescription filled or go to the nearest Drug store that has it available. Thank yall ALL for all the advice. 

***HUGS***

<3 ... Firefighters Never Die, They Just Burn Forever In The Hearts Of The People Whose Lives They Saved ... <3 

BVFD 328

ManthaCole9406
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Quoting hollydaze1974:

They didn't because the flu does not cause vomiting. That sounds like a virus that is just really nasty. I agree if meds are pulling it down an previous poster idea of cool compress do not help, an ER visit may be it. Keep in mind if it is viral, there is little anyone can do but wait it out and hydrate

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

He's 6... I did the bath earlier, he wont drink or anything. & i've him in a t-shirt. & underware. I think he's got the flu, went to urgent care yesterday bc of nausea, stomach pains & vomiting & they said it was just gasritis/acid reflux &sent him home =\ I wish they would've done a flu test!

The Flu DOES cause vomiting......... He has Influenza strands A & B!

BVFD 328

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM
From experience Tamiflu might make the symptoms less a day or 2. My dd said it bothered her stomach so after 1 1/2 days we threw it out. My dd had swine flu. It ranits course in 4 days. When she had the reg flu it lasted 10 days.

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Why are you wanting to stop the fever from doing its job?  Unless the child is miserable let the body do what it was made to do.  reducing fevers for no good reason can actually prolong or worsen the illness as fevers are the bodies response to attack and fight the bad guys.

When the fever is taking a toll on the body to the point he's broke out in a fevered rash, is tremoring, so miserable all he can do is cry all night & dizzy is when I dont want the fever to do its job anymore! I was so terrified he was going to go into febrile seizures I couldn't sleep... However... We just got in from Urgent Care. This am he was ok, still feeling a little woozy & I gave him some Vicks Flu & Cold syrup & he was able to keep it down all day. However, he had STILL not ate anything but did drink a little juice box. At dinner he wouldn't even eat two bites of steak & when he did he started havin stomach pains & had to puke. Turns out, he has Influenza strands A & B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So it WAS the Flu after all (as I figured)... They did a urinalysis on him & it showed positive for bilirubin and had a low specific gravity & decided to give IV Fluids. & he was a trooper!!!!!! All of the pharmacies in my town are out of Tamiflu so I have to wait until tomorrow to TRY to get the prescription filled or go to the nearest Drug store that has it available. Thank yall ALL for all the advice. 

***HUGS***

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM
It can but most of the time not. It is a bad cough and high fever and lethargic mostly.

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

They didn't because the flu does not cause vomiting. That sounds like a virus that is just really nasty. I agree if meds are pulling it down an previous poster idea of cool compress do not help, an ER visit may be it. Keep in mind if it is viral, there is little anyone can do but wait it out and hydrate

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

He's 6... I did the bath earlier, he wont drink or anything. & i've him in a t-shirt. & underware. I think he's got the flu, went to urgent care yesterday bc of nausea, stomach pains & vomiting & they said it was just gasritis/acid reflux &sent him home =\ I wish they would've done a flu test!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenneMaw
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

hope he fells better soon.

ManthaCole9406
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Friday when I took him to urgent care he only had a stomach ache, nausea & vomiting. & with his history for Pyloric Stenosis, the PA figured it was either H. Pylori (test came back NEGATIVE) thank the lord... OR a Gastritis/Acid Reflux flare up... both of which are common in kids that have had pyloric stenosis. However, he should have still went ahead & did the flu test & I, myself should have requested it but I forgot bc I was so worried about the H. Pylori test. He wrote a script for Zocor (for nausea) & Zantac (stomach med) and sent us on our way. We don't have insurance bc we can't find a company with reasonable prices... all of them want $500 a month with a $5,000 deductible!!!! Which is crazy bc he doesnt hardly go to the doctor so he'd never meet the deductible. By the GRACE OF THE GOOD LORD, the lady Friday told me we had a "credit" of $100 (he's only been there one other time his whole life) so that took care of the visit. Today's visit, however was $220<-- which isnt bad considering all of the test (flu swab & urinalysis) topical phenergan to try to sedate him a little (it didnt work) & the IV/IV fluids. I'm so thankful for the few passionate medical personnel that are still around... They gave me a discount (the $220 was actually an awesome price). MERRY CHRISTMAS YALL!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, got home & my fiance is laid on the couch, said hes had diarrhea twice since we've been gone, stomach aches... & NOW hes puking! :( Here we go again

Quoting atlmom2:

It can but most of the time not. It is a bad cough and high fever and lethargic mostly.

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

BVFD 328

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Tamiflu is expensive too, ugh. And we threw it out.

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

Thanks for the heads up! Friday when I took him to urgent care he only had a stomach ache, nausea & vomiting. & with his history for Pyloric Stenosis, the PA figured it was either H. Pylori (test came back NEGATIVE) thank the lord... OR a Gastritis/Acid Reflux flare up... both of which are common in kids that have had pyloric stenosis. However, he should have still went ahead & did the flu test & I, myself should have requested it but I forgot bc I was so worried about the H. Pylori test. He wrote a script for Zocor (for nausea) & Zantac (stomach med) and sent us on our way. We don't have insurance bc we can't find a company with reasonable prices... all of them want $500 a month with a $5,000 deductible!!!! Which is crazy bc he doesnt hardly go to the doctor so he'd never meet the deductible. By the GRACE OF THE GOOD LORD, the lady Friday told me we had a "credit" of $100 (he's only been there one other time his whole life) so that took care of the visit. Today's visit, however was $220<-- which isnt bad considering all of the test (flu swab & urinalysis) topical phenergan to try to sedate him a little (it didnt work) & the IV/IV fluids. I'm so thankful for the few passionate medical personnel that are still around... They gave me a discount (the $220 was actually an awesome price). MERRY CHRISTMAS YALL!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, got home & my fiance is laid on the couch, said hes had diarrhea twice since we've been gone, stomach aches... & NOW hes puking! :( Here we go again

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ManthaCole9406
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Quoting atlmom2:

Yeah... Keggins is $113 for his Tamiflu

BVFD 328

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)