Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Remedies to reduce a childs fever other than with meds??? Fever of 102° now

Does any1 know any home remedies to reduce fevers? My child is allergic yo Ibuprofen/Advil &I I've been giving Tylenol but its not helping... & it wont drop below 101-100°.

<3 ... Firefighters Never Die, They Just Burn Forever In The Hearts Of The People Whose Lives They Saved ... <3 

BVFD 328

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Replies (31-40):
hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Glad you got him to the dr. Glad you got a diagnoses. Fever can cause vomiting the actual flu cause fatigue, aches , fever, maybe cough.
But you seem angry at those of us who tried to help.
I'm wishing a quick recovery for him.

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

They didn't because the flu does not cause vomiting. That sounds like a virus that is just really nasty. I agree if meds are pulling it down an previous poster idea of cool compress do not help, an ER visit may be it. Keep in mind if it is viral, there is little anyone can do but wait it out and hydrate

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

He's 6... I did the bath earlier, he wont drink or anything. & i've him in a t-shirt. & underware. I think he's got the flu, went to urgent care yesterday bc of nausea, stomach pains & vomiting & they said it was just gasritis/acid reflux &sent him home =\ I wish they would've done a flu test!

The Flu DOES cause vomiting......... He has Influenza strands A & B!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ManthaCole9406
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Quoting hollydaze1974:

Angry? Wow..... How? Please do explain.
Bc if I'm not mistaken, I just thanked EVERYONE for their help :)
& maybe bc he has both A&B is why he had all of the other symptoms.

<3 ... Firefighters Never Die, They Just Burn Forever In The Hearts Of The People Whose Lives They Saved ... <3 

BVFD 328

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
You could try calling his doctor and ask if they have a sample of meds.
That stuff is so expensive and sometimes it doesn't even work.

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

Thanks for the heads up! Friday when I took him to urgent care he only had a stomach ache, nausea & vomiting. & with his history for Pyloric Stenosis, the PA figured it was either H. Pylori (test came back NEGATIVE) thank the lord... OR a Gastritis/Acid Reflux flare up... both of which are common in kids that have had pyloric stenosis. However, he should have still went ahead & did the flu test & I, myself should have requested it but I forgot bc I was so worried about the H. Pylori test. He wrote a script for Zocor (for nausea) & Zantac (stomach med) and sent us on our way. We don't have insurance bc we can't find a company with reasonable prices... all of them want $500 a month with a $5,000 deductible!!!! Which is crazy bc he doesnt hardly go to the doctor so he'd never meet the deductible. By the GRACE OF THE GOOD LORD, the lady Friday told me we had a "credit" of $100 (he's only been there one other time his whole life) so that took care of the visit. Today's visit, however was $220<-- which isnt bad considering all of the test (flu swab & urinalysis) topical phenergan to try to sedate him a little (it didnt work) & the IV/IV fluids. I'm so thankful for the few passionate medical personnel that are still around... They gave me a discount (the $220 was actually an awesome price). MERRY CHRISTMAS YALL!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, got home & my fiance is laid on the couch, said hes had diarrhea twice since we've been gone, stomach aches... & NOW hes puking! :( Here we go again

Quoting atlmom2:

It can but most of the time not. It is a bad cough and high fever and lethargic mostly.

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

They didn't because the flu does not cause vomiting. That sounds like a virus that is just really nasty. I agree if meds are pulling it down an previous poster idea of cool compress do not help, an ER visit may be it. Keep in mind if it is viral, there is little anyone can do but wait it out and hydrate

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

He's 6... I did the bath earlier, he wont drink or anything. & i've him in a t-shirt. & underware. I think he's got the flu, went to urgent care yesterday bc of nausea, stomach pains & vomiting & they said it was just gasritis/acid reflux &sent him home =\ I wish they would've done a flu test!

The Flu DOES cause vomiting......... He has Influenza strands A & B!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM

At 102 I'd be at the ER.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Leave the fever be. 102 is completely safe for anyone over 1. Fevers exist to heat up and kill the virus in the body. Lowering the fever let's the virus live longer. There are other ways like an oatmeal bath, some Vicks on their feet with socks, ect. once it reaches about 104.5.

DO NOT give her a cool bath, if she shivers it will raise her temperature even more and can be dangerous.
momof6nokc
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, flu can cause gastrointestinal symptoms and vomiting.

DD12 and DH both had influenza A last week and both had nause, vomiting, refusal to eat. Both tested postive for flu A.

And 102 is NOT ER worthy

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
You're joking right? Please learn about fevers and their purpose... this is one of the main reasons why ERs are backed up... uneducated people rushing to the doctors for nothing.

Quoting CoeyG:

At 102 I'd be at the ER.

AuntyEm774
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM
If he won't drink try to get him to have a popsicle or even a few sips of flat coke if he's afraid of throwing up. Once he keeps something down he will probably be more apt to drink water.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM
I agree. I didn't take my dd to the ER with a 104.5. No wonder insurance cost so much.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

You're joking right? Please learn about fevers and their purpose... this is one of the main reasons why ERs are backed up... uneducated people rushing to the doctors for nothing.

Quoting CoeyG:

At 102 I'd be at the ER.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aishamusty
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

This works for me

Quoting frndlyfn:

How old are they?  A room temperature bath could help as well as keeping them as undressed as possible.  Cool beverages, ice popsicles, wiping them down with a room temperature wash cloth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)