Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Remedies to reduce a childs fever other than with meds??? Fever of 102° now

Does any1 know any home remedies to reduce fevers? My child is allergic yo Ibuprofen/Advil &I I've been giving Tylenol but its not helping... & it wont drop below 101-100°.

<3 ... Firefighters Never Die, They Just Burn Forever In The Hearts Of The People Whose Lives They Saved ... <3 

BVFD 328

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Replies (41-50):
Aishamusty
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM

This works for me

Quoting frndlyfn:

How old are they?  A room temperature bath could help as well as keeping them as undressed as possible.  Cool beverages, ice popsicles, wiping them down with a room temperature wash cloth.

OHgirlinCA
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM

It's better to let a fever run it's course if it's not too high.  It's the body's way of getting rid of the infection.  If my child had a fever of 102° I'd be taking him/her to the doctor.  A temperature that high indicates a possible bacterial infection that may need to be treated with antibiotics.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

You're joking right? Please learn about fevers and their purpose... this is one of the main reasons why ERs are backed up... uneducated people rushing to the doctors for nothing.

Quoting CoeyG:

At 102 I'd be at the ER.

No way am I joking.  You first need to understand your child's "Normal" temperature.  Not everyone's "Normal" is 98.l6, tht was established genertions ago before there was 7 billion people on this plnaet.  My normal is 96.4, my daughter's is 97.1 so 102 is quite highf ro her, yes I'd be at the ER. Last time as a baby she had 102 she had the measles...And you can take your "education" and shove it where the sun doesn't shine honey...

momof6nokc
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

102 is not ER worthy.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

You're joking right? Please learn about fevers and their purpose... this is one of the main reasons why ERs are backed up... uneducated people rushing to the doctors for nothing.

Quoting CoeyG:

At 102 I'd be at the ER.

No way am I joking.  You first need to understand your child's "Normal" temperature.  Not everyone's "Normal" is 98.l6, tht was established genertions ago before there was 7 billion people on this plnaet.  My normal is 96.4, my daughter's is 97.1 so 102 is quite highf ro her, yes I'd be at the ER. Last time as a baby she had 102 she had the measles...And you can take your "education" and shove it where the sun doesn't shine honey...

Her kid has the flu so it is viral and will run its course in 1 to 2 weeks time.  The ER could do nothing for flu.  Measles are viral as well.  If you go to the ER you expose the whole ER. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

CoeyG
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Quoting momof6nokc:

102 is not ER worthy.

Maybe not for your child...for mine it was. 

OilyMama
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM

We use peppermint oil

CoeyG
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting CoeyG:

At 102 I'd be at the ER.

Her kid has the flu so it is viral and will run its course in 1 to 2 weeks time.  The ER could do nothing for flu.  Measles are viral as well.  If you go to the ER you expose the whole ER. 

I didn't know my child had the measles.  She hadn't broken out, she was running a fever of 102, that is 5 degrees higher than her normal and she was screaming bloody murder, I wanted to know what was wrong with my 14 month old child, so I took her to the ER.  She started breaking out after she was admitted to the ER and in the examining room. 

momtoblueeyes
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:36 PM
If he gets diarrhea and vomiting it may be the norovirus which is going around in my town.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ManthaCole9406
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Quoting momtoblueeyes:If he gets diarrhea and vomiting it may be the norovirus which is going around in my town.

His symptoms were as followed:
Friday Morning 7:00 am- Sudden, Severe abdominal pains & vomited before we left home.
No oral intake. Runny Nose
*Afternoon@Urgent Care- Vomited 2 times, still had stomach aches... Dr. assumed
Gastritis/Acid Reflux~sent home w/ Zofran & Zantac.
*Night- Nausea/Vomiting/Diarrhea
Saturday- symptoms that are not related to his diagnosis the day before.
Fever started, No oral intake, chills, full body aches, headache, constant crying
& completely miserable, Dizzy w/ standing/ambulation, tremors (I've never seen him act
so miserable without relief for a consistent 8hrs) From those symptoms I was worried
about seizures & every other horrific incident possible {Yes I'm a worry wart} LOL
Sunday-Same symptoms but eased off mostly w/ Vicks Tamifli/Cold, Drank 1 small juice box,
Refused to eat still & wouldn't drink anymore/wouldn't eat popcicles, nothing...
So not like him... He normally drinks his drinks, yours & who ever elses he can get +
Wants more for just himself! Worried about dehydration & the flu so I called Urgent Care
To explain new symptoms & they wanted him back to be seen again & checked for the flu
So back to Urgent Care I went. Gave IV fluids & tested positive for influenza A& B.
Prescribed Tamiflu

I just wanted to know some remedies just in case I had to use them. & I knew i had never seen him hurt that bad or complain of anything to that extreme, EVER.

<3 ... Firefighters Never Die, They Just Burn Forever In The Hearts Of The People Whose Lives They Saved ... <3 

BVFD 328

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN