Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Gift to child care provider

I can't afford to spend money this Xmas and I have already spent on secret elf at work and $ 60 for all my awards for students.so my nanny and daycare providers still need something.

will be be odd to give them homemade cookies?

any other suggestion?

thanks

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM

According to etiquette books, a nanny should be given the equivalent of a weeks salary...if you're not keeping her, maybe a Visa card?  

lnr187
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM

lotto tickets, dunkin donuts (or other) giftcard.
being that the nanny is part time and new, i think the cookies would be fine for her, and definitely for day care providers. i don't know how many you have, but maybe getting a nice mug/dish/bowl to put the cookies on. if that would get costly, last year i got paper plates that had snowmen on them and cellufane (sp) to match. wrapped the plate and tied it with ribbon. cheap but looks like you put in some effort.

caro100
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM

If you can afford a nanny vs an occaisonal babysitter.  more than a bag of cookies is in order, I mean really she's taking care of your kid.  I would spend on nanny and opt out of secret elf.  Hate that at the work place!!!  Cookies are fine for the daycare providers, or a box of chocolates to share.   Banana bread or pumpkin bread would also be nice for them.

caro100
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I certainly wouldn't have done the thanksgiving  gift certificate, that's not expected where I come from.  If she is having hard times a certiciate perhaps.

Quoting ballerossandra:

She has only worked for us since sep and she works 12 hours per week, sometimes 15 . She's neither great nor too bad but I just found it easier to keep her for now instead of training a new person. She constantly asks to leave 15 or 20 minutes earlier and she often comes 30 m earlier. I actually told her today to ask me if she can come earlier as man times, I am not home and I just come because she is about to arrive.she got a $40 certificate for thanksgiving

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Imo employees (such as a nanny) should be given a monetary Christmas bonus.
For child care Providers cookies are fine :)

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Just a ten dollar bonus on thier next check? They have presents to buy , too. Inside a card with handwritten, heartfelt thank you note.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ballerossandra
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

She does12 hours a week that are usually less than she gets paid for 12 but leaves earlier to take the bus, etc etc

Quoting caro100:

If you can afford a nanny vs an occaisonal babysitter.  more than a bag of cookies is in order, I mean really she's taking care of your kid.  I would spend on nanny and opt out of secret elf.  Hate that at the work place!!!  Cookies are fine for the daycare providers, or a box of chocolates to share.   Banana bread or pumpkin bread would also be nice for them.

victoriahearts
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Not odd at all, my son and I make cakes in a jar for our nanny, babysitter, teachers, doorman, regular mail man and anyone really that provides regular services to us. 

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM
We usually do dipped pretzels (kids can help make em) and then monitary gifts for the various non family gifts we give.
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM
I would do a homemade gift
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Giving her $40  for Thanksgiving seems a bit much...she probably will expect more for Christmas. The usual is a money gift to equal one week's wages if she's been with you a year, so it should probab ly be 1/4 of her weekly wage. Cookies for her I don't think is appropriate. Cookies for the daycare would be fine.

Quoting ballerossandra:

She has only worked for us since sep and she works 12 hours per week, sometimes 15 . She's neither great nor too bad but I just found it easier to keep her for now instead of training a new person. She constantly asks to leave 15 or 20 minutes earlier and she often comes 30 m earlier. I actually told her today to ask me if she can come earlier as man times, I am not home and I just come because she is about to arrive.she got a $40 certificate for thanksgiving

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Imo employees (such as a nanny) should be given a monetary Christmas bonus.
For child care Providers cookies are fine :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)