Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, my dh picked ss up from bm the other night, after he was asleep. He walked in and got him and realized he had a pacifier in his mouth. He doesn't use one at our house. He doesn't ask for one, or need one. We didn't even know he used one there. I looked some things up on the subject and noticed a lot about psychological problems being linked. Does anyone else find this odd? I'm the type of mom, aunt, etc that never gave them, so I was just wondering about other moms opinions
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

No worries.  At 9 yo that is a bit strange.  Does he say why he uses one?  Does the mom say why it is offered?  Does he have any anxiety issues?  DD was never a paci baby but as she got older she wanted to try one.  I told her no since they are meant for babies.

Quoting ambie25:

Sorry, 9 years old. 3rd grade

Quoting frndlyfn:

years or months?

ambie25
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM
We didn't ask him because we didn't want to embarass him. Dh can't ask bm about anything because she tells him to mind his own business. So, so far, we haven't asked anyone. He doesn't have anxiety here, but home is a whole different household. It's mom and two older sisters. Poor guy. Lol. So as far as anxiety there, I can't say no.

Quoting frndlyfn:

No worries.  At 9 yo that is a bit strange.  Does he say why he uses one?  Does the mom say why it is offered?  Does he have any anxiety issues?  DD was never a paci baby but as she got older she wanted to try one.  I told her no since they are meant for babies.

Quoting ambie25:

Sorry, 9 years old. 3rd grade

Quoting frndlyfn:

years or months?

jessecutez
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes speaking to the theripist is definitely the next step. Your welcome

Quoting ambie25:

He sees a therapist, but I don't think she knows about this. Like I said, dh just found out. I didn't think to discuss it with his therapist. Thank you.

Quoting jessecutez:

Yes it's probably physicological . A theripist is a good idea to see what's going on

CoeyG
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Is this a 9 year old?  If so, something is not right.

JMmama
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:02 PM
So, this is kind of embarrassing, but I had a paci at night until I was 7 for no reason other than no one thought to take it away from me. Maybe BM just hasn't said no? Some kids have no trouble not using their paci when it isn't there but if it is available, they want it. I'd ask him about it. He may not even realize there is something to be embarrassed about. I wasn't embarrassed until I realized 7 year olds don't usually have pacis.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM
That is messed up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM
I used one in college during finals and midterms cause I was clenching from stress and they were cheaper and easier than mouth guards. Cut down on jaw soreness for me.
chanceordesire
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Has he ever used one at all? If someone else is giving your child something you don't agree with it's your duty to say NO. But if your kid is attached to the pacifier now and you think it is a psychological reason behind it then ask your child (his teacher(s) if he has them/friends/sitter, for yourself! if you're still unsure or the kid is acting different than usual, then seek professional help. (This isn't always neccessary though. it could be something as simple just that your child copying another child or he is reverting back to old baby habits. If you're not okay with the pacifier, teach him other ways to cope with his feelings or use different objects for him to feel secure with like a favorite toy or a security blanket. Hope this helps. :)

chefmartha
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I was concerned about this with one of my kids so I asked the dentists in our dental office if it could mess up our daughter's teeth. We were told by our dentist and our pediatrician that a child would have to suck extremely hard to displace the teeth. However, a pacifer can cause a speech problem if the child learns to talk around it. 

Quoting deviljrswifey:

That could mess up his teeth bad.

chefmartha
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Have your DH ask him about it. Like someone else said he may not need it but is using it because it's there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured