Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need ideas/tips ANYTHING!!!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM
  • 17 Replies

MY 4yr old hasn't been going to bed when I tell her to. She usually goes to bed when shes told but recently she wont listen. I read her stories and tuck her in etc but now shes been getting out of bed and asking for snacks and drinks and I tell her "NO" time to go to bed. Then she begs to come sleep in my bed...and the last like 3nights she's been in my bed and its a twin not much room for both of us. 

What Im asking is does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to stay in her bed at night without a problem?! 

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kim8934
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

lay down with her in her bed until she falls asleep.  you don't want to get her in the habit of sleeping in your bed.

strictmomhere
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Talk to her way before bedtime about her sleeping in her own bed set ground rules stick to it;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dylansmom08
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I would just keep putting her back in her bed, she will get the message.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaDee2Bee
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

thanks everyone for the advice so far..i will update tomorrow!! :)

tiredmama42
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

We found a night light that changed colors and created different lights on the walls.  Really helped my DS when he was younger to stay in his own bed.  Hes 10 and wont stay in bed now..lol

CoeyG
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Stop letting her in your bed, get up and walk her back to her own bed tuck her in and walk away, don't talk to her.

StacyO722
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I agree with this. If you continue to let her sleep in your bed, she will never want to sleep in her own bed. Be consistant. Every time she comes in your room, walk her back to her own bed.

Good luck

Quoting CoeyG:

Stop letting her in your bed, get up and walk her back to her own bed tuck her in and walk away, don't talk to her.

Beely
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I know that when I was younger (age 2-4 yrs)I suffered from 'night terrors' and was afraid to sleep in my room alone.  So I would try to go to my parents bed- but they would not let me in.  What eventually helped me was positive reinforcement.  For every night that I slept in my own bed, there was a small gift at the end of the bed (not anything large, like dollar store items).  Eventually I slept in my own bed, and the gifts were weaned down to say 1x a week to twice a month...and so on. 

charligirl33
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

The fact that you give in and she ends up in her bed is enough incentive for her to argue with you about it. When she gets up, very calmly and without speaking to her at all, lead her back to her bed and walk out of the room. Do that EVERY time, with no exceptions. It won't take long for her to realize that she's been beat.   

CoeyG
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Quoting Beely:

I know that when I was younger (age 2-4 yrs)I suffered from 'night terrors' and was afraid to sleep in my room alone.  So I would try to go to my parents bed- but they would not let me in.  What eventually helped me was positive reinforcement.  For every night that I slept in my own bed, there was a small gift at the end of the bed (not anything large, like dollar store items).  Eventually I slept in my own bed, and the gifts were weaned down to say 1x a week to twice a month...and so on. 

Night terrors do not cause a child to not sleep in their own room.  Night terrors the toddler is still asleep, doesn't wake up and doesn't get out of bed.  What  your problem was simply that you didn't want to be alone and were probably afraid  of "monsters"  your parents could have used "Monster spray"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)