Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty training twins:(

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM
  • 18 Replies
Please I need help I have two old twins who are still on there bottles and they are not potty trained....I try to put them on a schedule but its hard because its two and I have a boy and a girl...I want them off the bottles first...I think it would help with potty training...#sick of changing Pampers in Va#
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ekh2010
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM
I don't have twins but I think most kids start the same. Do they realize when they're wet? Start w lil pottys and take them potty w you. Make it a party and be excited when they sit on them and try. We used m&m w my 2.5yo we weren't firm on it so it took her a month or so to master it then some accidents. Change bottles for sippy cups and start applauding big kid things...my dd loved dora so we got dora chonies. We skipped the pull ups cuz she has sensitive skin and they were expensive. We set a timer for every 15 min and at least sat down for a min...I cleaned a lot of messes but when she caught on it was awesome. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I would start by getting rid of the bottles honestly. After they are used to that then tackle potty training. Are they showing signs of being ready? A lot of kids are not ready at 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all stop treating them like they are one child.  They re two different and distinct individuals and may or may not develop behaviors together.  As far as potty training, you need to wait until they are ready to do so otherwise (especially with two) you are only going to make everyone miserable.  As far as the bottles go, those should have been gone about a year ago.  I don't know why you didn't get them off the bottles then other than the fact that you've been enabling the behavior...Bottles should be the first to go, then when they show an interest in going on the toilet you begin potty training but don't expect them to do it in unison,

purpleorchid92
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I definitely wouldn't try to work on both of the same things at the same time. They might rebel. The bottle is a hard habit to break. With mine, as soon as formula was out of the picture, so was the bottle. The older they get, the more attached to the bottle they become. Start with the sippy cups. I would wean them off the bottle by replacing one a day with a sippy cup at meal time. Then after a few days, replace 2 bottles etc... don't push them too hard, too fast but be stern about it. Once you tackle the bottle issue, then you can move onto potty training.

gennyjames
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Thank u

Quoting ekh2010:

I don't have twins but I think most kids start the same. Do they realize when they're wet? Start w lil pottys and take them potty w you. Make it a party and be excited when they sit on them and try. We used m&m w my 2.5yo we weren't firm on it so it took her a month or so to master it then some accidents. Change bottles for sippy cups and start applauding big kid things...my dd loved dora so we got dora chonies. We skipped the pull ups cuz she has sensitive skin and they were expensive. We set a timer for every 15 min and at least sat down for a min...I cleaned a lot of messes but when she caught on it was awesome. Good luck

gennyjames
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM
OK.
gennyjames
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Yes I was thinking the bottle first:)
kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

i don't know why you didn't work on the bottle year ago. ( i do know for some that it takes longer if there are other issues going on- not trying to sound like someone else on here- even though she had some good points). do the sippy cup first.- give the cup every time( just put the bottles up , give away, ect). once they get the hang of that. then start with potty training. for some- the summer months work better- less clothes-lol. my oldest ( girl) was really easy- my youngest with the potty, took alot of work( she's special). granddaughter was easy. the grandson was a whole different story-lol his mom started right after he turned two- but didn't have interest but she would still take him every so often. she started  putting him pull ups. when he started to stay dry longer, she put him in underwear day and night. when she got up at night- she got him up. any way it all clicked last may with him!! now he goes all the time.

AMDS0304
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I have boy/girl twins. They were not potty trained until age 3. They didn't get off there bottle until age 2. I suggest you throw all bottles away they will drink from a cup. They may cry at 1st but this is what there doctor suggested I do. Well they cried some but by the end of the day they were drinking out of a sippy cup.

As for the potty training they will do it in there on time. Don't force it. Encourage them but don't get frustrated.

I'm going to add my twins are special needs so they were behind on everything.

Are your twins special needs? Just asking no bashing.
gennyjames
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Yes'm they came 2months early and they spent about 2months in the hospital....thanks so much everyone says not to push bit get them off the bottle...I'm so glad u replied I feel so much better thank u

Quoting AMDS0304:

I have boy/girl twins. They were not potty trained until age 3. They didn't get off there bottle until age 2. I suggest you throw all bottles away they will drink from a cup. They may cry at 1st but this is what there doctor suggested I do. Well they cried some but by the end of the day they were drinking out of a sippy cup.

As for the potty training they will do it in there on time. Don't force it. Encourage them but don't get frustrated.

I'm going to add my twins are special needs so they were behind on everything.

Are your twins special needs? Just asking no bashing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)