Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Excessive Talking

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM
  • 14 Replies

My almost 9 year old keeps getting into trouble at school for talking non-stop. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to help him stop talking so much? I feel like we have tried everything but nothing is working

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Have you asked him why he talks so much and is not able to quiet down during class?  It could be a sign of hyperactiveness.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM
What do you do for discipline?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kathleenplus1
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM

He is hyper and he talks non stop at home too. It will get better and then it gets worse again. His reason for it is he doesnt know he is talking too much. I've tried to break it down for him that he doesnt have to have a comment for a comment or to be the one to have the last word all the time or reword and repeat everything you say back to you. His dad is a big talker as well and was in trouble all the time for it when he was a kid.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have you asked him why he talks so much and is not able to quiet down during class?  It could be a sign of hyperactiveness.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I wonder if you got him into journaling if that would help the talking out loud.  He could pour every thought and feeling down onto a piece of paper rather than potentially interrupt important conversations.  Excessive talking could signal a few disorders but most likely just impulse control and lack of censor in his mind right now.

TylersMom999
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Maybe have him evaluated for ADHD....ADHD kids tend to talk non-stop.  Wont hurt to have it seen into all they can tell you is no he dosnt have it.

Kathleenplus1
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM

We do time out, he has to do added chores, or grounding him from things

Quoting atlmom2:

What do you do for discipline?

Kathleenplus1
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM

That's a great idea! And I completly agree he hasnt learned how to control it yet.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I wonder if you got him into journaling if that would help the talking out loud.  He could pour every thought and feeling down onto a piece of paper rather than potentially interrupt important conversations.  Excessive talking could signal a few disorders but most likely just impulse control and lack of censor in his mind right now.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Your welcome.  I try to find constructive ways to help the impulse control especially with talking since you want communication to be open but not constant chattering in ear.

Quoting Kathleenplus1:

That's a great idea! And I completly agree he hasnt learned how to control it yet.

Quoting frndlyfn:

somemore83
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Good luck, my 7 year old dd is the same way, luckily schol has not said anything, yet.

savingtheworld
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Ha! My 8yo even talks n he's sleep! We have done every thing an taken every thing away! But he continues! I'm sorry may b bad parenting but yes I used bribery! There's one thing he likes more than talking, an thats money! I made a deal with him, if he didn't get n trouble for talking for 3days out of 5 he gets 5$ I had to Stick to it an so did he..an I got he's teacher involved, she would send him home with a smiley if he was good, so if he came home with no smiley he didn't get the 5$.. that was the beginning of the year an now I don't have to pay him to b good in class! Lol but it worked for him
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)