Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

exposing toddlers to strong candle and room spray scents

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

is it ok to expose toddlers and younger babies to strong scents like candles or room sprays?

i have noticed that our daycare provider uses a heavy spray that sometimes you can smell from outside the house when you wall up to the door to pick up your child.his hair and clothes are filled with that smell.

i teach teenagers and the days i get tempted to spray or light a candle, my students complain that they get headaches

so i dont want to me anal at my daycare provider but id like some feedback

thanks

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM
I would say something. Perfumes and aerosols are bad for anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I would speak up especially if the child is saturated in it.  We use them sparingly since dd was a baby and light a candle once in awhile but not heavy enough fo it to permeate outside.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I can't deal with strong scents/smells myself.   I have Asthma/COPD and breathing in that junk can land me in hospital.  Hoipefully none of the children this woman cares for has breathing problems because if they do she can get into trouble with CPS for making those children sick. 

Ultra_
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I think it's too strong and not good. We use it too at the daycare. Sometimes the kids run right through where I just sprayed. They'll start coughing and rubbing their eyes. I feel bad, but I do tell them to stay seated on the other side of the room for that reason, but they don't listen. It bothers ME and hurts my throat. I'm scared to damage my voice because I use it often. I don't know what else could be done though. We have to disenfect the nap mats or they'll all get sick. We can't wipe them all down because that's too time consuming and this is an irritant. :\

Oh, so maybe the smell is on them from running through it.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Quoting Ultra_:

I think it's too strong and not good. We use it too at the daycare. Sometimes the kids run right through where I just sprayed. They'll start coughing and rubbing their eyes. I feel bad, but I do tell them to stay seated on the other side of the room for that reason, but they don't listen. It bothers ME and hurts my throat. I'm scared to damage my voice because I use it often. I don't know what else could be done though. We have to disenfect the nap mats or they'll all get sick. We can't wipe them all down because that's too time consuming and this is an irritant. :\

Then do so after the kids are gone.  And you don't need chemcials to do so.  Steam is great for cleaning, so is white vinegar and baking soda.  That is all I have used for a very long time because I can't use chemicals unless I want a trip to the ER my daughter has the same problems as well. 

Ultra_
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Lol. It's REALLY not as simple as that. There are procedures for everything governed by licensing and laws and a book we live by called, "Minumum Standards" and I also have to stay within the guidelines of the TSR program on top of all the regular stuff. To get that done, would be a HUGE, LONG process to get these laws and guidelines changed with the state.

Quoting CoeyG:
Quoting Ultra_:

Then do so after the kids are gone.  And you don't need chemcials to do so.  Steam is great for cleaning, so is white vinegar and baking soda.  That is all I have used for a very long time because I can't use chemicals unless I want a trip to the ER my daughter has the same problems as well. 

rayroe2
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I don't know. You think the daycare wouldnt just in case a child as asthma problems....I know I didn't stop using my room spays when my dd was a baby but when she was a newborn I didn't spray anything or light candles for that first month.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Quoting Ultra_:

Lol. It's REALLY not as simple as that. There are procedures for everything governed by licensing and laws and a book we live by called, "Minumum Standards" and I also have to stay within the guidelines of the TSR program on top of all the regular stuff. To get that done, would be a HUGE, LONG process to get these laws and guidelines changed with the state.

Quoting CoeyG:
Quoting Ultra_:

Well gee whiz I don't know how my daughter's friend does it and she hs had a licensed day care for almost 10 years now and she doesn't do any disinfecting while children are present.   She can not use chemicals because both of her children have breathing problems.  which is why she went to school and go t a license to open up her day care to begin with.  So I will just have to message her and tell her that it isn't possible for her and the other care givers to disinfect and clean everything after  all of the kids have gone because you say it isn't that easy....

ballerossandra
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM

well the question is: what is too strong? if you can smell it from outside, i guess it is strong

if your child's hair still smells like that the next morning, thren i guess it it too strong

am i right?

btw, i dont shampoo his hair daily so the scents stays

Quoting Ultra_:

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I really love candles and nice scented sprays but I feel they are so bad to be breathing in, so I tend not to use them. I would not like it if my child was being exposed to that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)