Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I can't decide...

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 2:32 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hubby's grandparents sent us a check for $250.  They send us these specifically as a gift for our family to enjoy together, not for bills or anything.  We don't have any debt besides our mortgage anyways.  

Anyways, we are torn between doing a six flags membership or one to the science museum.  Six flags is about 2 hours away.  We had a membership there once before and went many times and had a lot of fun.  My daughter will need a pass this time since she is turning 3 in April so we will need 4 passes @ $55 each.

The science museum is tiny here BUT the reciprocal membership will get us in places like the exploratorium in San Francisco which is awesome.  We are a homeschooling family and my gifted 5 year old loves science.  The pass is $60.  We would likely use the rest of the money for a weekend in San Francisco including the exploritorium and the Oakland Space Museum which is also included in the membership.

I just can't decide which to do.  Any thoughts?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Or if anybody else has any better ideas in the central/northern Ca area I'm open to suggestions!

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM

How far are you from San Fransisco? The 2 hours back and forth to six flags would make it a VERY long day.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
we are about 3 hours from San Francisco. We decided to go ahead and do six flags. in fact we are going today! there's something to be said for just having fun with no learning experience sometimes and in 2011 when we had passes I think we went 10 Times so we got our money's worth. plus we took at least 12 friends using our free passes. everything is at least an hour's drive so to us 2 hours is not too bad.

Quoting Lindalou907:

How far are you from San Fransisco? The 2 hours back and forth to six flags would make it a VERY long day.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Sounds great, have fun!

Bknotnobody
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM
I say science, but then again I'm not a huge fan of six flags.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I'd put it in the bank and let it grow

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 1:25 AM
like I said this is specifically for something fun for our family. we have a savings account that will cover 6+ months of living expenses and we add to it weekly.

Quoting CoeyG:

CoeyG
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

like I said this is specifically for something fun for our family. we have a savings account that will cover 6+ months of living expenses and we add to it weekly.

Quoting CoeyG:

You can't let it grow into something fun?  Like maybe a Disney cruise or a trip to Disney and stay in one of their resorts?  Yep I'd let mine grow for awhile.  Really have some memorable fun.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM
it would take a long time for it to grow into thousands of dollars

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting CoeyG:

You can't let it grow into something fun?  Like maybe a Disney cruise or a trip to Disney and stay in one of their resorts?  Yep I'd let mine grow for awhile.  Really have some memorable fun.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

it would take a long time for it to grow into thousands of dollars

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting CoeyG:

Well if you don't add to it on occasion yeah it would.  But I'd pop in five or ten every now and then when I could.  I'd love a cruise.  I deserve a cruise...I haven't had a vacation since 2001...yeah a Cruise would be nice.  I've been to the amusement parks around here more than once..I've been to Hershey so many times I shit almost pure milk chocolate LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)