Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diarrhea

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:19 AM
  • 10 Replies
Help please I need some advise. My DD is 4 and has had non stop diarrhea since yesterday afternoon. How do I help her? How can I ease her poor tummy she has no fever
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd is 18 months old and just had this for 2 weeks. Not a single other symptom and she felt fine! Is your daughter eating and drinking? As long as she is drinking, I wouldn't be too concerned yet. I had my daughter's stool tested for several bacterium, viruses, and blood and it was all negative which led us all to believe it was a nasty virus. Give your daughter Pedialyte, stay away from dairy products until the diarrhea resolves. Try the BRAT diet to firm up her stools (bananas, rice applesauce and toast). My daughter is still in diapers so this caused other problems with diaper rash but I'm assuming your daughter is potty trained. Also, get her a probiotic and give her lots of yogurt. They have a kids probiotic powder available at drugstores called Culturelle. It's kind of expensive but it's worth it to help replace the good flora in her intestinal tract. Just sprinkle a packet on her food once or twice a day. I hope it clears up soon.... I know how stressful this is! Good luck!

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Oh poor baby. She must feel miserable.  Last time I had the problem the doctor said let it run its course for three days, but I did get dehydrated, which is a bad feeling.  I'd probably call the doctor's office and ask them, but meanwhile some iced and watered down pedialyte, to replace the salts and other minerals that are being lost. Let her have a straw and encourage her to sip all of the time. Watch for signs of dehydration- sunken eyes, not using the bathroom.  I hope she feels better soon.

mynewlife2012
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Thanks for the advise.. I hope she is better by Thursday so she can go to school and I to work but if not I am lucky to vaca time saved up. She is drinking and eating like normal but is clingy so far we are getting better it has been an hour and a half since last bathroom race... Poor girl has had three tubs in two day bc it was easier as well as a full load of laundry mostly due to towels on bathroom floor
ferne3
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Big fan of probiotics!  Also, when our DD had diarrhea, the doc always said that as long as she had a couple of pees a day she wasn't dehydrated.  There are also other signs, our ped has a nurse advise line, if you have one of those you can call them, they can give you the other signs to look for.  Otherwise, unfortunately, mommy love is usually all you can do, good luck!

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM

It sounds as though you have it under control. I'd remove dairy from her diet, though and give her a bland diet such as toast,  clear soup,  crackers.

Quoting mynewlife2012:

Thanks for the advise.. I hope she is better by Thursday so she can go to school and I to work but if not I am lucky to vaca time saved up. She is drinking and eating like normal but is clingy so far we are getting better it has been an hour and a half since last bathroom race... Poor girl has had three tubs in two day bc it was easier as well as a full load of laundry mostly due to towels on bathroom floor

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Maybe ask your pharmacist what they recommend.

bafamily
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM

All the other mom are right as far as I'm concerned.  Pedialyte(sp) to keep her hydrated, applesauce toast and yogurt with probiotics to start changing the consistency.  I'd probably give my kids some children's pepto to help speed things up.  Poor kiddo.  I hope this ends soon for you.  Remeber no fruit juices and fruits(minus bananas, although a nurse at my peds office once told me that even that will make it worse now I just stay away from it all) it will make it worse. 

mynewlife2012
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you every one
Aishamusty
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Quick see a doc or ask your pharmacist 

Quoting Bmat:

Maybe ask your pharmacist what they recommend.

mamalusbear
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Bananas?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)