Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bullies By Teachers?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:25 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hi Moms!

I am really upset with what has been happening with my 8th grade daughter.  Now please mind you, I am not one of those moms that thinks her kids do nothing wrong...I know better!  But my daughter is a good girl.  Since October we have had calls for clothing violation, being in the wrong hallway, not being in her seat, talking in the classroom, having her phone out in the classroom and I'm sure I'm missing a few others.  My father also passed away three weeks ago and we had to go out of town for the funeral and my daughter missed two days of school for this; I called the school and followed up with a note upon her return.  She had only missed two days prior to this due to illness.  We received a postcard indicating they needed a copy of the obit.  What?

I honestly at this point believe that my daughter is being targeted and being bullied by the two female teachers on her team.  We have NEVER experienced something to this degree.  We live in a very large school district so these teachers do not have time to react this way to every single student.  Why my daughter? 

I want to handle this situation properly but not sure which way to go.  If I meet with her team of teachers, I know they will try to bully me just as they have my daughter; I experienced this with one of her teachers last week who wouldn't even let me speak during a phone conversation.

I have always been involved in my kid's classrooms, served on the PTC Board for three years and on the Tempo Club Board for one year.  I am at every sporting event, band concert, parent/teacher conference, marching band competition and event...drive kids around to distribute calendars, work the concessions...the list goes on and on.  I am an involved parents!

HELP NEEDED PLEASE!  Thanks! 

*~*Julie in Ohio*~*

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Terri on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Call a meeting with the principal and/or superintendent to discuss your concerns.  If nothing changes or you feel like they aren't listening, keep follwing the "chain of command" with the school board.  Don't ever tolerate this kind of behavior...from anyone.

tiredmama42
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I agree .. start with the principal.  Really a copy of the Obituary?  Has she missed alot of time from school?  I have never been asked for that.   

drumlinemama
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM

No!  She has only missed two days of school due to illness.  I read in the handbook that a child MAY be asked for further documentation IF a child has missed MORE THAN SEVEN DAYS!

*~*Julie in Ohio*~*

doulala
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I would comply with their requests because you have done nothing wrong, nothing to hide.       Prove you are legit.
I wonder if they are concerned about other issues.     Talking with their superior/the principal sounds like a good idea too.

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM
I agree with everyone about talking to principal but my school always asked for proof weather it was a doctors excuse or a funeral.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM

The proper order is to go to teacher first and if you aren't satisfied then go to the principal.  You didn't mention if all of these infractions were true?  If they are, what are you complaining about?  You need to teach your dd that she needs to obey the policies of the school regardless if everyone else does.   

snowangel1979
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM
I agree start with the teachers first
The principal is going to ask if you tried working it out with the teachers first before coming to him.

Also did your DD do all these things?
If she did then you really don't have anything to complain about, your DD is the one in the wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caro100
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this

You need to go to office and check her records and see how much time she has missed, by their records.  I had a friend who had a troubled daughter that she would take to school, then drop her, see her in building and girl would check out or just leave.  Somethings going on and I have trouble thinking 2 teachers are targetting your DD. I have found they usually, don't care that much, especially in a large school district.   My kids graduating classes were over 300.  I was an involved parent too.  My youngest was a rebel at home and in school.  He was a square peg that they tried to fit in the regular round holes, it took a lot, but finally got my son in an alternative program, not the one for delinquents, though they offered that.  Jerks!  One that let him blossom and reach more potential.  My son is still having some struggles and I might be wrong, but maybe you're missing something.  Start with the office and the asst. principal assigned to her, if teachers are having problems, they should have already sent memos to the principal.

robyann
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM

As far as the absence goes, here in Ky they are allowed to miss 6 days per year with a parent note and they will be excused. Any more than that and you must submit a doctor's note in order for it to be excused. If we turn in the obit with a parent note those 2 days will be excused and not count on the 6 days with a parent note. So if she has already missed 2 days due to illness, instead of this making 4, and only leaving 2 without a dr's note, she is able to miss 4 more days without a dr's note.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:37 PM

So send them a copy of the Obit.  Schools have a maximum number of days a students need notification as to why they were out so they can return to school.  So what you should have done when she returned to school was cut the obit out of the local paper it was in and sent it along with her to turn in at the office.  Don't you actually read any of the stuff they bring home at the beginning of the school year?  It's all in there how they deal with any absence. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)