Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 3 year old has severe anxiety and has started stuttering

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM
  • 1 Replies

My son has always been a high needs kid, but right around his 3rd birthday everything seemed to be getting better. He had stopped nursing, potty trained himself and decided he wanted to sleep in his own big boy bed. He would go to sleep every night at 8:00 snuggled up with his "buddies". Iff he would have a bad dream he would come into oour room, but other than that he was doing great.

Then halloween came. We don't do halloween, but we couldn't sheild him from everyone else's decorations. He was really traumatized by a few displays he saw. I tried my best to explain that they weren't real, but he was still so terrified. Ever since then he has been developing severe anxiety. Everything terrifies him. yesterday he was watching Franklin and started screaming because of the "terrible scary bear!" He cannot be alone for two seconds, even during the day and within the last month or so he has started stuttering. When I ask him why he's so scared he says he's affraid of the "terrible joke." He's referring to a halloween display. When he saw it he started crying and I told him it wasn't real, that people put it up because they think it's funny, like a joke. Now he equates joke with monster.

I don't know what to do. He has a doctors checkup coming up so I'll ask the pedi what he thinks. but i was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on this situation.

breastfeeding

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Your son needs a psychiatrist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)