Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I have a 2 year old... 'nuff said?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi all. My 2.5 yo can be difficult. I realize her behavior is typical of her age, but my oldest child was far more agreeable at this age, so this is somewhat new. She often acts tired in the mornings, will rest on my shoulder, but will not let me lay her down for a nap. My back is killing me from hauling her around. I just want to put her down and get some housework done. Some days she won't nap and then becomes cranky at dinnertime, other days, she'll take a late nap and stay up until 10PM. Of course, that doesn't mean she'll sleep in past 6. When she's not acting tired, she is great at entertaining herself and pretending to help me.  I came on here to escape for a minute and vent. I'm getting a bit stressed thinking of Christmas and not having the free hands to do anything.  

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Routine, Routine, Routine.

She needs to go to bed at the same time every night, go down for a nap at the same time every day, meals need to be at the sametimes. If it helps you make a schedule.

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM

1. stop holding her all the time

2. she will learn

3. if you are consistant with NO naps, she will adjust and will sleep later

my DD was like this.. but i stopped allowing naps at the age of 2.  it took about a week, and she was going to bed about 8-9 and getting up between 7-8

she knows i will not carry her around the house.. unless her two legs are broken she walks.  she doesnt use a stroller either anymore, because in all honesty it enables her to be lazy.  she doesnt get tired either... we will shop shop shop for hours at a time and she is perfectly happy walking and exploring and picking out things with me.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM
oh boy can I relate. and a schedule did not fix my daughter. she's 2 1/2 and hasn't napped in a year!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

When mine did stop napping I started quiet time. They had to lay on the couch and watch a full length movie without saying a word. LOL. Worked well for us. They got a rest and I got some piece.

mygirlygirls
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Thank you for understanding, Jasonsmom. We do have a schedule, but she's ready to drop that nap, so our schedule is totally thrown off with cranky tired fits. 

mygirlygirls
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I am so grateful for all of this advice, Thank you for the quick responses!

bafamily
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Ok yeah I'm sorry I know I'm probably the worse parent, but mommy needs nap time or "quiet time".  Everyone needs 20 min in the afternoon not just 2 year olds.  And this is going to sound way bitchy, but "let you" she's two?!?  You dictate how they treat you and what they do, for the most part unless some thing health wise is going on.  I would spank mine if they didn't want to stay down for a nap, but I believe in spanking and frankly they always fell asleep.  If you don't believe in spanking then stand her in the corner until she is ready to go to bed.  My one year old knows what stand on the wall means so I know a two year old can do it.  I don't meant to sound like a bitch and I probably do, but I have five kids and if they didn't take naps we would all be cranky and tired and mean to eachother.  And as for the holding yeah that's got to stop.  She won't cry forever, I promise.  We as parents have to set limits from how much sweets they eat to how much undivided attention.  If we don't they will think everyone will treat them like that and then during school it will be hell.  Start off easy instead of holding her say hey lets go color instead or play with some toys and then try and get up while she's busy.  I don't know if it will work, but hey it's worth a shot.  Like I just told Jasonsmom,  I don't have a lot of patience.  I love my kids, but sometimes I wonder why God decided I should have them. lol  I feel sorry for my kids sometimes, I'm mean like my mom.  Not abusive mind you, but strict, my way or the highway. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)