Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confession: I have never gotten over my fear of the dark.

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM
  • 32 Replies

I am 27 years old, and I am still afraid of the dark.

When I was 7 or 8 my step father at the time shut me into my room and pulled the door closed holding it, telling me that the skeletons where going to get me. I vividly remember scrambling to find the lamp to turn it on while bawling my eyes out. I really thought there were monsters in my room after that.

So here I am, 27 years old, and I can't sleep if it is pitch black. I have to have my door open at night, and if we watch a scary movie before bed, I have to watch something else before I go to sleep.

Anyone else have a weird confession? 

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

No wonder you are afraid.  I wonder if imagining something not scary as being in the room would help. Something such as soft fluffly puppies that would keep away the skeletons.

I am uneasy at night time,  and the cats don't help as they all three jerk up their heads and look in the same direction.

Mommy2justone
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I don't imagine anything is in the room now that I am older, I just don't feel safe in the dark, even with my husband laying next to me. 

Quoting Bmat:

No wonder you are afraid.  I wonder if imagining something not scary as being in the room would help. Something such as soft fluffly puppies that would keep away the skeletons.

I am uneasy at night time,  and the cats don't help as they all three jerk up their heads and look in the same direction.

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I hate having anything over my head that resembles a blanket. I remember when I was little my dad would 'dutch oven' me but he would hold me under the blanket for too long and it would start to feel like I couldn't breathe. I can't sleep with anything over my head and if I do, I make a 'cave' with the blanket so I am always getting fresh air. I still freak out if someone tries to hold a blanket over my head to the point that I've thrown someone on the floor before.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Im 27 also. Im still afraid of the dark. I have plug in night lights in my room. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Do you have night lights? as many as you need? How about music playing softly?

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I don't imagine anything is in the room now that I am older, I just don't feel safe in the dark, even with my husband laying next to me. 

Quoting Bmat:

Christy644
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM
I sleep with a night light.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:42 PM
LOL I'm 33 and scared of the dark, so don't feel bad.
I live out in the country, where it gets pitch black at night. If I have to go outside, DH or my dog comes with me and I leave the hall light on. LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catngabsmom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM

i am the same way and i wasn't tortured in the same manner and told skeletons were going to get me!! i am 40 and still sleep with a lamp on!

mmccrea
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I'm 24 and still sleep with a night light.  I think it is a pretty common fear.  

CoeyG
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I still sleep with my teddy bear...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)