Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The school bus ride from H-E-L-L-P!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM
  • 47 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you believe that it is appropriate to have a five year old on the same bus as middle schoolers?

Options:

yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

This is my very first post so please go easy on me. :) I actually need some opinions, and that's how I came to find "cafemom". 

My daughter Sophia just turned 5 over the summer and started kindergarten in a town about a 15 min drive away from my home and over 2 miles away so she is qualified for transportation.  The school bus takes 1hr 10 min to make this journey.The big day of her first big girl ride to school comes and I notice I'm standing with all pre teens and older. The bus arrives and They all pile into the bus. I see a monitor on the bus so I was put a little at ease. That evening I went to pick up my daughter at the bus stop. I'm waiting for her to get off and she doesn't get off! I jump on the bus and find her at the very back of the bus lying down fast asleep. There were no seat belts, no monitor, all teenagers and the bus driver didn't even realize she was on the bus. I called the school to complain and they said that because they are not disabled or handicapped children they do not need a monitor.  I'm getting the run around from the school as far as age appropriateness goes and i just don't know who else to call. my daughter is missing out. She loves school and she feels like she has done something wrong and that's why I'm not sending her. It really isn't fair. A five year old shouldn't be on a bus with teens, hearing god knows what seeing god knows what. 

Any advise on wat to do or who to call would be greatly appreciated :)  I am furious that the school sees nothing wrong with this situation.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
x_Starr_x
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM
I've never hear mixing 5 yr olds with teens where do u live.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Are you able to take her yourself or have someone help drive her to school?  Our bus is elementary age only and they have no monitors at all.  Kinders have to sit up front by the driver and can not get off the bus in afternoon unless a parent is at the stop.

MagicalMum
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I live In Charlestown, ma. Ive never heard of this in my life either until I moved here. They seem to think Its Ok. 

Its unfortunate becauseshe wants to go and until I can find a kindergarten slot open closer to home she is just hanging out with me during the day. I refuse to send her on that bus. I would bring her in myself  but my son goes to a different school at a a different time so she would be late everyday and not only that it makes me wonder what kind of people think this is ok.

MagicalMum
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I believe this is the same type thing. I just know that the driver is paying attention to the road and not to what the older children are saying or doing to my daughter. I hate to think so negatively but, 4th 5th 6th grade boys and girls are talking about things my little one should not be exposed to yet. Shes not belted in either? I wish The car fairy would come and visit me :)

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Nope our buses do not have belts on them.  Nor did the ones when i was on buses.  One area we lived in, 4 and 5th grades were in the middle school so i rode with 8th graders alot.   Nothing ever happened to me and it was my first time on the bus.  Before that i walked to school.   How does your son get to school?

CoeyG
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM

If you don't like what the school does you need to go to schoolboard meetings and bring the problems up there.  Calling the school is not going fix the problem. You have to get involvedI never saw it to be a problem, my daughter rode a bus that had highschoolers on it as well as middle schoolers and elementary students.  For the first three months of the school year they would have monitors and then drop them.  It mostly is about money, bus monitors don't do it for nothing and my daughter's buses never had seat belts (I know because I went on many field trips)

peanutsmommy1
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM
It is not uncommon is small districts, it saves on transportation costs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rockabye
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM
We rode the bus with all ages. But the front half was for younger. Maybe talk to your busdriver about assigning her the seat up front?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMR320
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM
My MIL drives a bus for a town of less than 1000 people. She has mixed ages simply due to the size of the town and school. The school is all in one building. One side is preschool- 6th the other side is 7th-12th. She makes the younger kids ride up front on her bus. I see nothing wrong with it in this situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Many schools here are K-8th grade.  They have no choice but to ride the same bus.  What they do here is K have the first seats and it goes by grade and 6th-8th are in the back of the bus.  Of course they are not on the bus more than 30 minutes tops and that is only if they are first on or last off.  No bus has seat belts ever in the US.  NOT safe because what if there was a fire and some kid couldn't un belt.  They have to be able to crawl out without help from adults.  We had no monitors on the buses here. 
I suggest she sit in the front seat behind the driver. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)