Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those that have guns to protect their home or agree people should.

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM
  • 40 Replies

Just a thought here.

How much good did it do for the shooters' mom to have so many?

She was sleeping right? I'm sure some will use that- but in the end- wasn't the point of all those guns to not only exercise her right but to protect herself?

Kinda ended up the opposite.

Now I don't like to handle guns at all. IDC what others do much, with the exception of ARs. I don't thinks ANYONE needs them.

So was it better or worse for her to have those weapons? Thoughts? No fighting- just wondering what others think. 

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-PB
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:32 PM

He was 20 years old so he could have gotten a gun himself if he wanted one.  I think the problem is people don't always lock up their guns or lock them up but keep the keys in an obvious place.  This may or may not have been the case in regards to the CT shooter, idk.  The point is he could have done this with or without his mom's guns.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting -PB:

He was 20 years old so he could have gotten a gun himself if he wanted one.  I think the problem is people don't always lock up their guns or lock them up but keep the keys in an obvious place.  This may or may not have been the case in regards to the CT shooter, idk.

This.  He obviously got a ton of ammunition himself.  She probably didn't have that much.  Anyone can make homemade bombs.  Guns, bombs, someone who wants to will find a way.  Personally I hate guns but I think anyone with common sense should have one if they want one. 

Sisteract
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

He had tried to secure a gun on his own and was denied.

I wonder why his mother introduced him to and fostered his love for guns. She knew that he had mental health issues and encouraged his interface with weapons. As a mother of older kids (25,22) as well as being a 34 year nurse, I do not understand her logic.

We do not have any weapons in our home.

Quoting -PB:

He was 20 years old so he could have gotten a gun himself if he wanted one.  I think the problem is people don't always lock up their guns or lock them up but keep the keys in an obvious place.  This may or may not have been the case in regards to the CT shooter, idk.  The point is he could have done this with or without his mom's guns.

bellaamore
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

She should have locked her bedroom door and had her gun with her.

-PB
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I don't either.  If she were alive I wonder if she would have second thoughts about her parenting style.

Quoting Sisteract:

He had tried to secure a gun on his own and was denied.

I wonder why his mother introduced him to and fostered his love for guns. She knew that he had mental health issues and encouraged his interface with weapons. As a mother of older kids (25,22) as well as being a 34 year nurse, I do not understand her logic.

We do not have any weapons in our home.

Quoting -PB:

Rowdys.Mommy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM
We have many guns, including an ar. They are all locked in a big safe that only my husband and I have the combination to. We have them for protection and leisure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
first.time.momy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Like PP said he was 20yrs old and could have gotten a gun on his own. Also if he had wanted to harm people he would have done regaurdless if the guns were right there or not. Guns are NOT to blame here. There was something SERIOUSLY wrong with this young man. And obviously no one was able to see that. He could have done just as much damage if not more with chemicals you find in just about every household around the world. Hell I was TAUGHT how to make a bomb in chemistary class in high school. We were taught how to make bombs out of household cleaners, MRE's (the food soldiers eat over seas), and sparklers. We also tested how to use them. Making these bombs is MUCH easier to come by than going and getting a gun. When people want to do harm and PLAN to do harm they will. There has always been guns in the house(s) I've lived in basicly. My dad was an avid hunter, and my SO now is also an avid hunter. The guns in my homes have always been unloaded outside. Then hung on a gun rack. It's not the guns fault.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeremysMom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM

If I remember correctly, she had them more for leisure. My husband has 3 pistols and would love to have an M16. His guns are more for leisure, but protection is an added bonus.

christineT79
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM

My question is why did she own machine guns? I don't think anyone should be allowed to own an automatic or semi-automatic.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Right- he def could have.

But tgere's such a thing as opporunistic crime.

It could have not crossed his mind if they were never available kwim?

Quoting -PB:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)