• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Talkative Toddler

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM
  • 31 Replies

My almost 3 year old son never stops talking! It is driving me insane! I was looking for some advice on how to get him to slow it down. This boy just jammers on and on. When I try to ask him to take a breath or to let me say something, he tells me he wants to talk to me. I do not know how to get him just to be quiet for a few moments. All day he talks! Any advice?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Let him talk.  Eventually he will stop.  Just smile and nod

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Enjoy it while you have it.  In all too short a time he'll become a moody teen, or be grown up and move out, and you'll remember these days fondly. :)

caro100
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL.  We wait impatiently for them to say their first word and spend the rest of our lives trying to get them to be quiet.  Start playing the quiet game, Make it a competition to see who doesn't talk first.  KLet him win the first few times so he is rewarded for being quiet..  Besides, as a Mother you should start developing your TUNE THEM OUT ears.  I mean as long as its happy sounds and not angry or distressed sounds, you should be able to be aware, but not aware.  Believe me after 2 boys who started talking in sentences before their 2 nd birthdays, its not that hard.

TexanMomOf6
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM

You might want to listen while looking at him. He might have something interesting to say. I had a chatterbox and I found out all kinds of things he thought about. He may or may not grow out of it.

I would say a quiet time might a good idea. Maybe for a few minutes after meals or some other time. Try setting a timer for just 5 minutes to start, increasing a little when he can last the whole time without talking. Make it a game. 

Be glad he lets you into his world. I had one that wouldn't talk most of the time. It wasn't because he couldn't, he just didn't want to.

DeeDee323
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Sounds just like my son lol. He never shuts up. 3 years old. I've trked the quiet game but he collapses in giggles in two seconds. I cherish the quiet once he's in bed!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM

My son was a talker, and I pretty much just let him talk, then one day I realized he was telling me that he wanted to play a violin- we were listening to music.  So I arranged for him to have lessons.  I'm glad that I did tune him in. He decided that the violin didn't interest him after all but stuck with it for a year.

raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Let him talk, but make sure that you consistently get through to him not to interrupt and to use manners. My son was like that, and he still is to a point. He is 7 years old, and I have to tell him to stop talking for five minutes lol..just every once in awhile. I also input in him about how not to interrupt, etc. The kid will literally talk himself to sleep.

Meloney413
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I play the Whoevers the quietiest wins Game.. lasts about 5 mins lol * .

LindaClement
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Stop expecting toddlers to act like adults...

It's normal for little kids to think out loud. Take a breath and do something else with your mind. He'll outgrow this and learn to think in his head, but it's a while away yet.

melissaaytes
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Haha my 3 yo dd does the same thing!!  She even talks in her sleep lol! She does say some funny things though!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)