• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP...Scared. Dh facing possible scenario

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM
  • 14 Replies
I'm reaching out to you all in the cyber world be ause there is a (slim) possibility that someone is or has been going through what I am going through..

Last month dh got pulled over by a cop for an illegal u-turn in the state of NC. Rather than be giving a ticket he was told that in the state of NC that is considered reckless driving and has to appear before a judge. I don't even know what to do. I've heard from different people with varying opinions of the seriousness of this.

Has anyone been through this & know what I am going through & could give me any advise?

I appreciate you in advance!
Newmom
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-PB
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Wow.  Thats crazy.  DH did a u-turn in PA but he just got a ticket.  I've never heard of that.

JeremysMom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

My husband is an officer. I just asked him about it and he said for the state of Georgia, it is consider a misdemeanor and is punishable by a $1000 fine and/or up to 12 months in jail. However, in most cases they consider the circumstances and if this is a first offense or not. I would google this info for your state so that you can be better prepared.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I have never gone to court for a traffic violation all I can advise is that he shows up unless he wants a warrant out for him that could make it all much worse.  I have never driven through NC but I have made sure I know all the laws of the states I have driven in before I go through and I've driven cross country three times so far. 

illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Hopefully the judge will accept an apology and let him go.

sktrowb
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM
It's illegal to do a u turn? Holly crap I'm going to google pa laws too. I thought it was only illegal if it was posted with a "no u turn" sign
CoeyG
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM

All I could find on U-Turns in NC was that you could only make them in areas they are allowed  to e made, you would proaly have to know the laws to know where they would be allowe.  Sounds to me as if your husand made a turn that was in an illegal area for him to do so

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Wow. I don't know, but I would try not to worry too much, sure doesn't seem like a big deal to me!

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Here in California we can make a u turn unless it's posted that we can't.

moniagee
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:50 AM
Honestly,.the judge will probably throw it out or lessen his offence to just a U turn IF this is first time. Don't worry, I highly doubt he'll go to jail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whitleypittman
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like the officer was being an ass.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)