Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Terrified!!!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:46 PM
  • 13 Replies
My dd is terrified of the vacume! She totally freaks out if it is even in the room. It doesn't even have to be running or plugged in! She will stand and scream in fear! My thought was she will just get used to it... Yeah not working she is 3 and this fear keeps getting worse! She has always hated the vacume but not this bad! What do I do! I can't just stop vacuuming my carpets. Please help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM
I've been through so many fears with my son. we've overcome a lot of them. take baby steps! here are 2 examples of what I did

fear of bugs- I went out and bought plastic bugs and a bug catching kit. first we started with the plastic bugs in the bug container. I made a big deal out of how cool it was to look at in the container but I couldn't touch it. I did this everyday until he was completely comfortable with it. then I started opening the container and touching the plastic bug. once again encouragement until he was reaching in and touching it. next we worked on holding it. at this point he was 100% comfortable playing with a plastic bug. I started catching real bugs and putting them in the bug container to look at. it was a hard step for him but with consistent encouragement he overcame it. eventually we worked up to holding basic friendly bugs like rolly pollies. He only panics when it's an unfamiliar bug now.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM
He was terrified of the rain as well. we started out fully bundled up and protected and slowly removed one article of protection at a time over the entire winter until he could handle just a coat. if it's pouring he needs an umbrella because of his spd but He is no longer terrified.
sktrowb
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM
We tried buying her a toy vacume... Tried leaving the vacume out where she can see it. I'm starting to worry there is an anxiety or panic issue here

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I've been through so many fears with my son. we've overcome a lot of them. take baby steps! here are 2 examples of what I did

fear of bugs- I went out and bought plastic bugs and a bug catching kit. first we started with the plastic bugs in the bug container. I made a big deal out of how cool it was to look at in the container but I couldn't touch it. I did this everyday until he was completely comfortable with it. then I started opening the container and touching the plastic bug. once again encouragement until he was reaching in and touching it. next we worked on holding it. at this point he was 100% comfortable playing with a plastic bug. I started catching real bugs and putting them in the bug container to look at. it was a hard step for him but with consistent encouragement he overcame it. eventually we worked up to holding basic friendly bugs like rolly pollies. He only panics when it's an unfamiliar bug now.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM
well mine does have anxiety disorder.
it takes a lot of consistency. you can't just say "oh she won't go near the toy so let's get rid of it" put the real one away where she can't see it. Don't vacuum with her around for a while. just consistently work on getting her comfortable with the toy. Don't push it. my dad tried to push my son to hold a bug once and he regressed all of the way back to the first step.

Quoting sktrowb:

We tried buying her a toy vacume... Tried leaving the vacume out where she can see it. I'm starting to worry there is an anxiety or panic issue here

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

CoeyG
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

It could be bothering her ears more than she fears it.  Some children have very sesative ears and some noises hurt.  You may want to check with the peditrician. 

marinewife55
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM
My dd has mild sensory issues and she's terrified of the vacuum because it kills her ears...her ears are way too sensitive for that noise and even seeing it causes her to panic because she connects it with pain
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sktrowb
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM
She is around things much louder all the time. No problems with them. We live next to the train tracks and firehall

Quoting CoeyG:

It could be bothering her ears more than she fears it.  Some children have very sesative ears and some noises hurt.  You may want to check with the peditrician. 

BaBa1123
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I agree with the post about the ears this I never thought of so maybe you should take her to the doctors to have her checked out.   My dog always barks when I put my hand on the vacumn before I even start to vacumn so I never thought about the ears.    I think when your daughter gets a little older she will be okay.  Good luck.

meliscool72
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM

let her know it is nothing to be afraid of, let her use it if she will....

FunnyKids
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Buy her a little one and let her see it's harmless. Either a toy one or even a dust buster, then explain to her that the other is just a "mommy sized" version of what she has.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)