Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Blizzard Question

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM
  • 24 Replies
We have a blizzard warning. It said to be prepared if there is a loss of electrical power. Why would we lose power?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilysmom8
by Dawn on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM

The snow gets heavy and makes the eletrical wires (and poles) fall down...

wishbearmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM

The weight of the snow on the power lines can bring them down (unless they are buried), and gusty winds can knock down power poles.

emilysmom8
by Dawn on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Here in Buffalo, NY we have had "blizzards" that caused us to be with out power for over a week at a time

offrdngal
by Terri on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM

What they ^^^^ said!!  :)

ash522
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM

We're in the blizzard warning too. We have overhead power lines & sometimes a combination of the ice, snow, & strong winds make our power go out during a blizzard. We've had lines down, a transformer blew once, all sorts of things can happen. Stay safe!! I'm almost done prepping & then we are all ready to hunker down for the next day or two! 

one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM

What others said....also heavy snow on trees can make large branches fall onto power lines.

A city just north of where I live already cancelled schools for tomorrow.  I missed work today because my son was sick, but he is better now -- I am not looking forward to having to deal with traveling tomorrow to get son to daycare (IF it's not closed) and me to work.  Ugh.  I don't mind winter storms or blizzards.....as long as I can just hunker down and not go anywhere!  Unfortunately, that never happens.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM
I dont remember having a blizzard here recently. How do you prepare for that? I know, dumb question.

Quoting ash522:

We're in the blizzard warning too. We have overhead power lines & sometimes a combination of the ice, snow, & strong winds make our power go out during a blizzard. We've had lines down, a transformer blew once, all sorts of things can happen. Stay safe!! I'm almost done prepping & then we are all ready to hunker down for the next day or two! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM

The snow weighs down the power lines or a tree branch could snap under the weight of snow causing the power lines to snap as well.

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM
The weight can take down trees, limbs and even power lines! In some cases, it can cave in roofs so keep a look out on how deep it is on your roof!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Bizzard=heavy snow=pulling down electrical poles. 

Blizzard = hazardous driving= running into power lines with car. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)