Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My poor baby!!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM
  • 12 Replies

So, I wanted to get some advice. When is fever too high for a 6 yr old? My son got sick at school yesterday. And I don't know what time cause he teacher didn't call me. She sent him home on the bus. When he got home he had a temp of 102.6. Well, we did the tylenol motrin rotation and baths. It would not get below 101.0. Finally around midnight it dropped to 99.8. So we all got a lil sleep. This morning I got up and his temp was 104.1. I gave him Motrin. Put him in the truck. Off to the er we went. Well, by the time we get there it's down to 103.4. After almost 2 hrs the dr comes in and asks me why I brought him there instead of the clinic. Well, 1st off the clinic was closed. And my son had 104 fever, I've always been told anything over 103 could potentially cause brain damage. My oldest son has febrile seizures. And I told this dr that. And febrile seizuers are brought on by high temps in small children. He proceeds to tell me that they are not fever induced and something else is wrong with my 8 yr old. I have been thru every kind of cat scan and test possible with my oldest son. I know what causes em. But yet he wanted to make me out to be the idiot. This man would not give him a flu test, examine him, nothing. They made an apt for him at 11 with his dr. Now my son has to wait another 2 hrs to figure out whats wrong. He was extremely lucky I was not man. I would have decked him. I'm curious of what some of you would do had this happened to you. I'm really tempted to call the head of the hospital. I have no reservations doing so. I called the superintendent of the school for her not doing anything for my son when he told his teacher he didn't feel good. When he told her the 2nd time. Her response was I heard you the 1st time!! They have really struck a nerve with me!!

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xMamaMiax
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM

My son had fever of 104+ for 5 days and they didnt want to do anything(besides tylenol/motrin) until the 5th day.

So no, emergancy room is not what you do.  

justliloleme
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Well, had they at least examined him and said it's just a virus and it has to run it's course. That woulda been 1 thing. But he would not even examine my child. Did nothing for my baby. And his pediatrician has always told me if it gets over 103.0 get him to a hospital. Because we have a history with febrile seizures. Has it changed that much in 6 yrs? 

justliloleme
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM

He has the flu!!

jonnlilithsmom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

it seems to me, every time I have to go to the ER for whatever reason, there's some young doctor just out of med school, or some guy who was there for the birth of Methuselah, who wants to tell me how I don't have a clue about my child, or even my own body...

they've been wrong every time they've pulled that crap, and I don't stand for it any more

I demand to see another doctor, and well... I'm loud, and talented at sounding rational even while screaming  ;D  so it doesn't usually take long

Mommy2justone
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Treat the symptoms not the fever. 
104 is a little worriesome but nothing I would take a 6 year old to the ER for.
If it went down with motrin, I would have just kept him at home.

Fevers do not cause brain damage till about 107 or if the fever is associated with menengitis or something like that.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM
What's a flu test?

How are you taking the temp? Rectal, oral, etc?

Try alternating ibuprofen and acetemenaphin. (sp)

A fever is a sympton not a cause. I see how you would be worried with your other child but it is certainly not an er issue. It's one of the reasons visits to the er take hours.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Salsacookies
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Sounds like a dumb doctor for one. Fevers can cause febrile seizures, but not until it gets above like 105 or something like that. 103 is high, but it's ER worthy or anything to stress about. His immune system is just doing it's job. Just monitor him and if he appears to be uncomfortable, give him some meds, otherwise I'd just let his body fight it off.

squeekers
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I would ask for an ER pediatrician for a second opinion

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Dec. 21, 2012 at 2:17 AM

i dont think thats worth an er visit. 

NoahsCoolMama
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Quoting justliloleme:

He has the flu!!

Did he have a flu shot this year?  Did they give him Tamiflu?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)