Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"I'm not a girl! Only girls take showers!"

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM
  • 10 Replies

Not sure if I am looking for advice or more so of just sharing my amusement.

So here is a little bit of background, when my son was 2, his daddy was deployed. I potty trained him during this time and when he went to the bathroom, he always sat down. My husband returned when he was 3 1/2 and it took until he was 5 before he would stand up to pee. He is 8 now and while he stands up to pee, he pulls his pants all the way down. He refuses to pee in a urinal, he will wait until a stall is open even if he has to go really badly. So, on this part, I do need some suggestions on.

On to the shower part, when he was 2, my dad gave him a bath one day and accidently left the shower on the previous time so when he turned the water on, it sprayed him from the shower. It took a few weeks just to get him to get in the bathtub. He finally took a shower when he was 6 but only when he had too. As a side note, my husband takes baths, he only takes a shower at hotels or when he was in the army. So, the other day, we had a problem with our bathtub draining properly and maintenance had to come fix it once again. The bathtub can not be used so my husband suggested that our son take a shower in my bathroom. My son's response "I'm not a girl! Only girls take showers!" LOL, not sure if I should be worried at this point or not. I mean at some point in his life he will have to take a shower. Should I try to address it now, or wait until later and hope that he outgrows this?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I would not stress out about these things.  So what if he wants to sit and pee as well as take a bath. Those are his preferences.  He should know how to be able to bathe in a standing position as well as urinate but they are not must have to do things.  DD will not take a shower at all and she is 6.  We have the shower head hose thing in our bathroom so we have her stand so hair can be rinsed.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM

If you don't want him to stink and to be dirty you tell him to get his ass in the shower, that both males and females shower period and when he is told to take a shower he will tke a shower. 

StrawberryCool
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM
I hate bathes.

You have to sit in all that dirty water
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
StrawberryCool
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM
He is taking bath!

Quoting CoeyG:

If you don't want him to stink and to be dirty you tell him to get his ass in the shower, that both males and females shower period and when he is told to take a shower he will tke a shower. 

madhouseof5
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM
I was staying on holiday in a hotel that only hada shower
I said to my then five year old he needed to shower
he would not
I got the shower head down to show him it was not that bad
he grabbed it off me saying If its that good you have one
I got a shower fully dressed LOL
Now hes 17 and showers
dont worry
bath or shower you know hes clean
JeremysMom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM

That's me as well. The only time I take a bath is to relax, not get clean.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

I hate bathes.

StrawberryCool
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM
We dont have a shower here.

Shame that I get excited to go spend a weekend at a hotel so I can shower!

We only have a bath. So normally its just a quickie in and out unless I want to relax.

Quoting JeremysMom:

That's me as well. The only time I take a bath is to relax, not get clean.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

I hate bathes.

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
At six , I'd only take a shower with swim goggles on.

I was a single parent with my older son, so he spent more time sitting than standing, too.. At age 13, if he thinks he's has to do " both" he sits.
There is no shame in wanting privacy from a stall... Heck, we women are weird enough to leave a stall EMPTY between us and someone else!

You would actually prefer it in a store setting, true? Safer?

Try the goggles, explain that, actually girls prefer baths but we don't have time so they take showers, let him know baths are more fun for playtime and relaxing, but showering takes less time and (as our children are inundated about going green) less water.

acrylicmom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM

i think he will be fine.

but honestly...your dh takes baths???? ew. just sayin. I hate baths.  You sit in your own funk.  My whole family only takes showers..and I actually removed the tubs from the bathrooms when we remodeled. I think they are nasty...and waste too much water. I mean, I can't hardly picture a grown man sitting in a bathtub w/out it seeming like a joke. LOL this is just my opinion-- ;/

I DO IT IN A DARKROOM..... ;)

caro100
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

he'll probably outgrow this.  My youngest son prefers baths to this day and he is 19.  He will take showers, but will take a bath versus shower any time.  Anyway if he wants to take bathes only, unless it is a plumbing  issue. In the winter, he may not need a shower daily, until he gets to be a stinky teenager.  Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)