Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm Michelle and when I went to pick up my 8 year old son Collin from soccer, he said "Mom, what's pot? Crew said his big brother had to pick him up early because his mom found his brother's stash of pot." 

Naturally, I panicked and told him "Pot is another word for brussel sprouts. Crew's big brother hid his uneaten brussel sprouts from his mom and she got angry."

When I told my husband, he told me I should have just told Collin the truth as opposed to lying to him, but I just wanted to protect him. He's WAY too young to learn about drugs! For goodness sake, he's 8 years old!

Please help me and tell me what I should do.

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM
I would have told my child the truth. It would have been a great time to bring out the just say no to drugs and all that
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Yea what a dumb lie u made up be honest with him:-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyMitchy247
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM

You guys are right.

I should have told him the truth. I just panicked and made up a crap answer off the top of my head.

Pnukey
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Chances are they've already been learning about "Say no to drugs" at school, with Red Ribbon Week and what not. 

Go back and talk to him, tell him the truth.

Mommy9494
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Quoting Pnukey:

Chances are they've already been learning about "Say no to drugs" at school, with Red Ribbon Week and what not. 

Go back and talk to him, tell him the truth.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Why on earth didn't you tell him the truth?  Goodness how silly Brussel sprouts? 

MommyMitchy247
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I panicked. Y'all dont worry, I'm going to tell him the truth first thing tomorrow morning. 

Quoting CoeyG:

Why on earth didn't you tell him the truth?  Goodness how silly Brussel sprouts? 

bonita172
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM

better for you to tell him than have other people twist the real definition of weed.

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:49 AM
They have D.A.R.E. in kindergarten...atleast here in GA.I think 8 is plenty old enough to hear the truth when it comes to pot.Shoot,my 6 yr old knows what pot is.You missed a great opportunity to have a "say no to drugs" talk.I'm glad you've decide to have the talk with him tomorrow :)
pegleg63
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM

You need to have a a honest talk with your child about drugs. If you panicked and were caught off guard you should have told your child you would explain it a bit later in the day. The earlier you can have the talk about drugs the better you are to keep you child from them. You really think kids that age don't get approached to try and buy drugs, or act as drug runner for the dealers?

Quoting MommyMitchy247:

I panicked. Y'all dont worry, I'm going to tell him the truth first thing tomorrow morning. 

Quoting CoeyG:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)