Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone not tell their kids about santa?

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:29 AM
  • 44 Replies

i'm having my first baby soon and i've always said that i would never tell my kid about santa. i see so many children that are unappreciative because santa is kind of made to seem like he can just get them whatever at no effort. to me, it takes away from the actual meaning of christmas.  i was told about santa and of course i loved it and waking up to all the surprises every year but i just don't think i want my child to think that he's real and stuff. did anyone ever think they wanted to do that or actually do it?

by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I wish I hadn't but not for those reasons. We area  Christian family & even though I was raised Christian I was also raised knowing about Santa. I now have 4 kids ages 9 & up who do not believe anymore, but I also have a 3yo who does. And I was stupid & started incorporating Santa in our traditions. I should have left him out because he is not the reason WE (as in my family) celebrates Christmas.

It's not that I would tell him there is no Santa. I would hate to have to answer to the parents of his friends at daycare! But I would focus more on Christ's Birth & the real reason we celebrate. Maybe next year when he is 4 & 1/2?

ratchetlee
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM

My kids have never been allowed to believe in Santa......

and neither was I growing up!

My kids are 4, 6, and 9 on Saturday!

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 8:39 AM
5 moms liked this
Never even occurred to me that it was a "lie" until I entered this group. It was magic. No presents under the tree one night and a lovely display when I woke up . I knew even Santa had a " budget" because of all his "helpers" had to get paid for "making" the toys and clothes I got.

I am Christian, we go to candlelight service, Christmas Eve and we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus with a candle in the morning.. And prayers are said earnestly to our Savior at our family meals.

Santa and gifts are separate. That is a different magic that we all have to outgrow.
Christ is forever, Santa has a very short window.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 25, 2012 at 8:52 AM

We never did. They still heard about Santa, though, from relatives. 

illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Make Santa how you want Santa to be. In our family Santa is a nice person who brings each kid 1-2 items that they ask for. He has limits and we never ask him for big things because we know he brings presents to ALL of the kids and he can't be bringing everyone an ipad. My 5 year old asked Santa for a couple Barbie playsets in the $20 range. Totally reasonable.

My kids know that big presents come from mom and dad and yes, at age 5 my daughter knows her dad works all day so we have money and that money does not grow on trees. SHe understands our bank account only has a set amount of money in it from working and that we cannot simply use the debit card for unlimited purchases. She can also make change better than the average McDonalds worker, lol. 

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

It sounds as though you have set really reasonable policies and lessons. This will help your children all their lives.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Make Santa how you want Santa to be. In our family Santa is a nice person who brings each kid 1-2 items that they ask for. He has limits and we never ask him for big things because we know he brings presents to ALL of the kids and he can't be bringing everyone an ipad. My 5 year old asked Santa for a couple Barbie playsets in the $20 range. Totally reasonable.

My kids know that big presents come from mom and dad and yes, at age 5 my daughter knows her dad works all day so we have money and that money does not grow on trees. SHe understands our bank account only has a set amount of money in it from working and that we cannot simply use the debit card for unlimited purchases. She can also make change better than the average McDonalds worker, lol. 

OliviaW.
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM

What we tell them is that Santa was a real person at one time but like all things over time he leaves. But while he was around he did give gifts to kids during the holidays and people were so impressed that they continued to do what he did. 

Hubby and I also let them pick out toys to go for toys for tots and such and tell the kids that they are being some little child's 'Santa'. 

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

This is beautiful.

Quoting OliviaW.:

What we tell them is that Santa was a real person at one time but like all things over time he leaves. But while he was around he did give gifts to kids during the holidays and people were so impressed that they continued to do what he did. 

Hubby and I also let them pick out toys to go for toys for tots and such and tell the kids that they are being some little child's 'Santa'. 

NNB
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM

My ds is going to know nothing about santa. Not because he will be ungrateful but because we have chose not to celebrat. We want to educate him in philosophy and physics and we can't see how teaching him about flying reigndeer will help with that, if anything it will be confusing.

piwife
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Santa brings one present maybe two for each kid and is a small present. We focus on jesus and family. Sants is just an extra
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured