Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Tips? Ideas? General Responses?

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

So the past few days dd has been overly attatched to me. She has this one toy in particular that she flat out refuses to play with unless I play with her. Even if I'm in the bathroom doing my business, she gets it out and it's "MAMAMAMAMAMAMA!!!"  until I get in her sight. I have never hated a toy so much. (I still play with her regardless.)

We were at three xmas parties yesterday and today, and it was me or tantrum.

I know this is a phase. She's always been all over dh, until recently. So, what can I do to make her overbearing presence more enjoyable. I hardly get time to myself, but it's okay... I just don't know why she can't amuse herself for 10 minutes so I can just relax!

*insert title as conclusion*

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this

It's a seperation anxiety phase.  Mine used to bang on any closed doors asking "Mmmy here" daddy would try to step in and help and she would tell him "go way".  eventually it ends. 

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Be patient. Keep telling yourself that "this too shall pass." It will.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Yup it is the separation anxiety phase of toddlerhood..  DD would fuss for me unless i totally left the area and she was fine, when i stepped back into her view she would start crying as if i have been gone for years.

DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Can you get her into a "mommy's morning out" type of program? I found that when my kids socialized more they were less clingy. My second son was the worst of the bunch. He wouldn't let me out of his sight. My mom and I took him with us to go shopping one day and when I went into the dressing room he started calling for me. My mother said "Steven! She's getting dressed, honey! She's NAKED! You don't want her to come out naked, do you?" He thought for a moment and said "Mommmmmmmyyyyy...come outta there naked!" The other shoppers thought it adorable! I didn't share their opinions. LOL

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:03 PM

This is exactly my sentiments as well.  

Your daughter is going through a growing up stage and is feeling the pinch of that emotion. The only way to *deal* with this, is to just go through it with her until she no longer feel anxious about being seperated from you.

As Coey says, it will eventually end.  :)  

Quoting CoeyG:

It's a seperation anxiety phase.  Mine used to bang on any closed doors asking "Mmmy here" daddy would try to step in and help and she would tell him "go way".  eventually it ends. 

undefined

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Sounds like a phase
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Karen_S
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Can you have her "help" you with what you are doing? You don't mention how old she is, but maybe she can do things like wash vegetables while you are cooking dinner, or she can have a little spray bottle of water and a rag to "clean" while you are cleaning the house,  or she can try to fold small items when you are folding laudry, things like that. So she's with you, but you don't have to totally stop your day and just play?

nverheyn2011
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:11 PM

she's 17 months. She "helps" as much as she can. lol

Quoting Karen_S:

Can you have her "help" you with what you are doing? You don't mention how old she is, but maybe she can do things like wash vegetables while you are cooking dinner, or she can have a little spray bottle of water and a rag to "clean" while you are cleaning the house,  or she can try to fold small items when you are folding laudry, things like that. So she's with you, but you don't have to totally stop your day and just play?

CafeMom Tickers
Karen_S
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM

lol, OK, that's kinda young...  :-)

If it helps, I remember that right around a year and a half was the hardest time with my DD...really needy. Hang in there. 

Quoting nverheyn2011:

she's 17 months. She "helps" as much as she can. lol

Quoting Karen_S:

marisab
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

my daughter is 2 and has been clingy i swear since day one but super clingy afte rher 2nd bday!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)