Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I found a bottle under my baby's bed, i'm not sure if there was fomula left in it to dry. It has a little bit of an odor to it so i'm washing it. Is it safe to use bleach water? I want to be sure there is no bacteria left on it. What's the safest way to do this?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Replies (11-18):
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I wouldn't use bleach but I would make sure it got through the dishwasher.  The water temperature in there is high enough to kill whatever.

MrsJoe125
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Bleaching is fine, just let it air out b4 u use it. Chlorine is a gas, so it will dissipate.
Boiling for five minutes is another way to sterilize.
anotherandree
by Inga on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM

This is what I would do.

Quoting alexis_06:

I wash by hand..then dishwasher..then boil it for 10 min.


la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM

 I would just throw it out

marisab
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM

THIS

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Never use bleach for things like that.  Personally, I would just throw it away since you aren't sure if there was even any formula in it.  Otherwise, I would wash in soapy water and then put in the dishwasher.


Karen_S
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Bleach *does not* leave a residue if it is dried completely. I know this because I used to work in a laboratory that cultured sensitive animal larvae and did toxics testing that needed very clean conditions, and bleach was one of the only disinfectants/cleansers that was allowed on the culture containers...even dishwashing detergent leaves a residue.  So it is fine to soak in diluted bleach (when your child isn't around to breathe any fumes...open a window or put on a fan to be extra careful), and then make sure to dry completely before using..  BUT, if it looks like the plastic is degrading at all (getting rough inside or cloudy or coming apart), then throw it out.  

LindaClement
by Linda on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Bleach is not an effective bacteria killer, and it never has been. It's good for changing the colour of things, but little else.

Just boil it for 5 minutes, if you want to be sure. Mostly, it just needs to be well washed. Soak it over night to loosen anything in it, first.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I'd probably put it in recycling and replace it. But if you don't want to do this, wash well by hand and then boil it.   I agree with kirbymom that if it is plastic that I'd be afraid of it absorbing germs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)



Featured