Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Baby leash for Xmas present?!

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM
  • 96 Replies
Hello ladies, hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas like our family did! One thing about this years family shindig though made me confused and also amused at the thought. My aunt both my bf and I a baby leash. When I opened it I laughed and said to her 'uh i don't know about this but ill try it out I guess.' And she says 'hey when you lose a kid or think you lose a kid in a crowded place it's the scariest feeling and this will prevent that.' So I agreed and then the next few minutes were spent exchanging stories about such situations. She's 57 and my cousins are 32 and 18, so back when they were babies these 'leashes' weren't available. Therefore my aunt really has no clue what it's like to use one or the disapproving stares you'd get from passerby's.

I do agree that these probably work well and serve many families or single moms a great purpose. The only reason I'd ever consider using it is because of how this years holiday shopping went: went to a crowded mall with bf, mom and LO and all jasper wanted to do was walk walk walk and explore, he doesn't like riding in the cool mall car carts or being carried now that he can walk. On a normal day not during Christmas, we'd let him walk with us and he guides the way with us right next to him every step of the way. This is the only time I can see myself using this 'kid leash.' Unless of course I had more then one mobile kid and was by myself shopping. But that's not the case and probably won't be for a long time. Plus I've already made a pact with myself that next holiday season I won't be shopping last minute because I hate the crowds, lines and rush rush rush attitude everyone's got. So I won't need the leash next year because it won't be crowded and well let him walk.

I think leashes are for animals and absolutely not kids. I've seen one ONE time at my mall and it was an older lady with three young kids, and even then I thought she looked dumb. I don't agree with them at all. So i guess my question is would any of you ever use one or have you? Don't YOU look at people weird when their kids are on leashes? Like those dog walkers people hire in big cities and you see them walking the park with five leashes hooked to five different size doggies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

When I see someone with more than one child that is using a harness for a child, I don't think anything. 
When I see two parents, with one child, on a harness.....I try not to judge but I do feel something. But it isn't my child, I don't know if that child has autism, or can't comprehend why they should stay with mom or dad. So it isn't my place to judge. 

We have one child, I taught her how to hold my hand at a very young age, and not to stray away. But I don't know how other kids act, isn't my kid, so I try not to judge. 

Bellarose0212
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I personally am not a fan, no. I hold hands, stay close, or if there is an issue put her in the cart. If I had triplets or kids with special needs that were a flight risk that I couldn't talk to and keep track of... maybe I would consider it. Right now, no, and sometimes, yes it does look bad to me. It depends. It looks bad when they look like the kids are just going nuts and the parents are not paying attention at all or attempting to engage with them. Then, it just looks like lazy parents that couldn't be bothered to engage with their kids enough to keep them close so they hooked them up. As in the above cases that I mentioned though, I'm sure some people have real need of them.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I can see it being used at a farmers market as well.   A stranger could come running up, swoop the child into their arms and poof they are gone.   Some people do not know how to use them properly just like other safety items.  I dont give anyone weird looks since i do not know what their family is like and if the child could have a flight risk (running off suddenly).  Now if a person is dragging a child behind them attached to the tether, then they may get an odd look from me.

mommy2annaliese
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM
10 moms liked this
I don't care what other people think of me, or if they judge me in public. I am confident in my parenting, and they don't know me. I have a very difficult 15 month old who screams and throws fits if you try to hold her, screams bloody murder arches her back and kicks like crazy. If you let her down she will happily walk but is hard to keep up with and won't allow you to hold her hand. I like the backpacks for toddler that have a leash on the back. I can walk with her without her being mad and throwing a huge fit, and I can guide her away from people who may otherwise bump into her and she doesn't get lost. Works for me and I don't care what anyone thinks.
JeremysMom
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I bought on for my son and it looked more like an animal backpack than a leash. We used it at the zoo and no one has ever given us any dirty looks or stared at us. In fact, I had about 5 people stop me and ask where I got it at because they wanted one too. Having it made it an enjoyable trip for both my son and myself.
izzyb120
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM
I was always one to judge parents who used these, then my son came along. He runs wild, jumps, plays, hides in stores, the street. I ordered a cute Mickey one, it looks like if my son is giving him a piggy back ride. It didn't work out for us bc my son fought back & struggled to remove it. So..we don't use it, but I swore I would never judge parents who do. We all do what we feel we have to, to keep our kids safe.
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM
I have one for DD I used it once for a nature walk type thing. She wears the backpack part all the time though.

With DS I wish I would have had one. He was a runner. He would wait untill you looked away a bolt.

If you hate that you would have really hated what I did when DS was around 1-2. We lived on a canal. He would always bolt to the edge which was a 5 foot drop and then water. He would be playing in the sand box one second, then I would turn my head or be trying to watch my other DS and he would run. I tied a cloth line to his overalls where it stopped him about 10 feet from the water. My neighbor used to tell me she wished she would have thought of that with her DD.

I don't judge because I would rather a child be safe then worry about looks.

I read a story I think on here about a woman who child was almost kidnapped. The child was standing next to her and some man picked the child up and ran, but mom had the child leash on her wrist and the guy ended up dragging her too. The leash saved the child from being kidnapped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Well said.

It's easy to assume by what we see but ultimately should use perspective and compassion and realize- we don't KNOW anything about the sitch.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

When I see someone with more than one child that is using a harness for a child, I don't think anything. 
When I see two parents, with one child, on a harness.....I try not to judge but I do feel something. But it isn't my child, I don't know if that child has autism, or can't comprehend why they should stay with mom or dad. So it isn't my place to judge. 

We have one child, I taught her how to hold my hand at a very young age, and not to stray away. But I don't know how other kids act, isn't my kid, so I try not to judge. 

nates-mommy
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Before I finish reading this or read any of the replies I will respond. My son is almost 2 and we have ahda leash for him since he started walking. I dont care what others say or how they feel... It looks like a monkey and most people find it adorable. It is a safety measure and he enjoys his leash. 

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this
My dd has sensory processing disorder and she is a sensory seeker. If she wasn't strapped down then she took off. There was no holding hands, no sence of safety to her, she would just bolt. We did buy a back pack harness for her. It was still tough bc she would still try to run. We eventually put books in the back pack part and the weight helped calm her down.
I think they can be very helpful, but you still need to be responsible and watch your kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN