Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Hi! I have my initial appointment tomorrow and would like to know if they will be able to give me something right away or if I will have to wait. Please spare me your WIC bashing-this was a pretty tough year for us and I have never had to ask for help before.

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:49 AM

a person used to be able to get checks at that same appt....don't know if it's still like that

tiredmama42
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I never had WIC but I did use Focus Hope when my daughter was a baby.  They gave us formula and food staples once a month.  I never went to WIC because someone said they would take blood from my baby and I didnt like that. 

deviljrswifey
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Nope Wic. They wouldnt get me anything till she was born.

Quoting Kazmira222:

And you're sure you're not talking about DSHS?? Cuz I don't get their help until after baby is born. WIC is supposed to help during pregnancy too. :s

Quoting deviljrswifey:

I didn't get anything until she was born.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:47 AM
If you have single piece of documentation asked for when you arrive, you should get checks that day. EVERY SINGLE check stub they ask for, proof of pregnancy ( usually an ultra sound pic with dr, date, and your first and last name) or , ss card, pic id ... Bring it all and you should get checks immediately.

And i thought all the bashing stayed in confessions.... Bummer to know it's here, too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kazmira222
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Wow that's pretty stupid. :/ sry it happened that way. They began helping me right from the start. But I'm also 19 and still living at home. Lol

Quoting deviljrswifey:

Nope Wic. They wouldnt get me anything till she was born.

Quoting Kazmira222:

And you're sure you're not talking about DSHS?? Cuz I don't get their help until after baby is born. WIC is supposed to help during pregnancy too. :s

Quoting deviljrswifey:

I didn't get anything until she was born.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girlywifey
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Quoting emmy526:

a person used to be able to get checks at that same appt....don't know if it's still like that

Yes-they gave me checks and an ID during my visit today :-)

busymom64064
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

This. Also, don't feel ashamed. There is NOTHING wrong when oyou really need the help. What pisses people off is not really needing it and abusing the system.

Hope things get better for you :-)

Quoting Beauty91805:

Right away as long as you have all the paperwork needed.

girlywifey
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Quoting lilmama8408:

Wic if eligable usually right away. They cover milk, beans, cheese, cereal, and a couple other things. The vouchers give you exact details of what to get. If eligable for food stamps (usually have to have a child born already) then it takes time bc they mail you a card ect and gets filled once a month which covers food but no "paper products"

I was surprised on how exact you have to be. I came home and made a whole list of what I could and could not get. For example, I picked up peanut butter but since it said peanut spread (which I never noticed before) I had to go back and get one that said peanut butter on the label.

girlywifey
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Quoting busymom64064:

This. Also, don't feel ashamed. There is NOTHING wrong when oyou really need the help. What pisses people off is not really needing it and abusing the system.

Hope things get better for you :-)

Quoting Beauty91805:

Right away as long as you have all the paperwork needed.

Thanks! They were super nice and explained everything to me since I was clueless :-)

AubreeGrace17
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Not sure, bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)