Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
In the past, we have always stocked the fridge with Silk soy milk, but now I'm finding out that it actually has quite a few hormones in it. So I tried to gradually switch back to organic dairy milk. My oldest son made the switch without too much complaint, but my 3 year old hates milk now and will only choke it down in tiny amounts, he doesn't mind drinking it if he thinks it is Silk, so I know his problem has more to do with the switch and not the different flavor. He will drink it if I put chocolate in it, but I don't want him to have chocolate milk that often. Anyone else have trouble getting their kids to drink milk? Is there anything I can do to make it more appealing without dumping chocolate in it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Replies (11-17):
christineT79
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Try Almond milk it's so good. Soy has estrogen in it & there is alot of new research saying that it's not good for everyday consumption. I personally don't like cow's milk. We really don't need it. You can get all of your calcium & vit D from other sources like greens.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Where did you hear it has hormones in it? I drink Silk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM

If you don't want them to drink cow's milk for the calcium and vit D, they can get the calcium and vit D elsewhere and don't need to drink exotic beverages.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I have the opposite problem with all four of mine...they LOVE cows milk and we go through ALOT

Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:03 AM

when my kids went thru i wont drink milk unless theres syrup in it phase i gave them the syrup. But I also gradually lessen the amount I put in. So by the time a week went by they were drinking white milk with no problems or complaints.

elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:12 AM
It's not that it has hormones persay, however soy in general mimics estrogen in the body. There are studies that show that it can be detrimental, but there are studies to say that about nearly anything. It's a choice that people need to be read up on and make that decision for their family. For me and mine, I don't avoid soy altogether , but given my history of PCOS, we choose not to consume it too much or too regularly.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Where did you hear it has hormones in it? I drink Silk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:15 AM
For what it's worth, we don't drink milk regularly. We always have some in the fridge for baking, cooking, cereal. But we get our vit d from sunlight and other foods and we get our calcium from other foods as well. Same with all other vitamins. Cows milk is absolutely unnecessary for a healthy diet, if you have the right balance of other foods. And as far as hydration we drink a ton of water, rarely do we have juice in the mix either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)