Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need advice on bottle feeding

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:33 AM
  • 39 Replies

Let me start off by saying I completely planned on breast feeding the first year at least. I got diagnosed with IGT and could only produce 3 oz a day.

Anyways, I did not learn anything about bottle feeding.

I have been told by the pediatrion not to give him over 32 oz in a 24 hour period. Well he's hungrier than that. Sometimes he will take 45 +. But I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong.

He weighs like 13 pounds. He's tall and thick but not chunky. He was born 7 lbs 11 oz and is now 7 weeks old. I give him 5 oz (they said to give him half if weigh in oz at each feeding, so it's a little low) but if I give him more than that I feel kind of like I'm forcing it. I would like to give him 6 1/2 oz but he falls asleep before that. Well, he's hungry 2 hours later on 5 oz and then will take another 3 at least. He will only sleep max 3 hours.

I'm not sure what to do. Should I go ahead and give him 6 1/2 - 7 and see if that helps or.. keep doing what I'm doing?

I know it's hunger because he roots like crazy towards my breast ) I WISH!) and he will refuse the binky when he is hungry.

The "32 oz" rule does not make any damn sense. If he is supposed to get 6 1/2 oz at a feeding and if he eats 6 times in a 24 hour period - that's 36 oz! What's he going to do? Turn into a gremlin? If someone could explain this that would be great.

I feel like 6 times in a 24 hour period is completely reasonable. I don't understand why they want me to cut him short if he's really hungry.

Also, I really like my Ped, so I won't be changing.

Thanks!

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shelby212302
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:38 AM
2 moms liked this
I've never heard that rule, and I feed on demand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krysden
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard that rule either.  Just follow your baby's cues.   If he's hungry, feed him.   If he's still acting hungry after a 4oz bottle then fix a 6oz bottle the next time.   Let him eat until HE is done....    Babies know what they need and will generally stop when they are done. 

but if I give him more than that I feel kind of like I'm forcing it. I would like to give him 6 1/2 oz but he falls asleep before that

It's only forcing it if he decides he's done and you keep putting the bottle in his mouth anyway in an effort to get him to finish it.   And it's ok if he falls asleep without finishing a bottle.  

-PB
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I would just feed him how ever much he wants to eat whenever he wants to eat.  Follow his cues.  He knows when he is hungry and when he is not better than anyone else.

bLuEeYeDgIrL312
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM
I feed on demand.. try making bigger bottle,hell eat till hes full and stop.. if he falls asleep and you want him to drink more try rubbing/ tickling his feet,back, really anywhere that makes him stir enough to eat more .. i use to do it all the time
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:09 AM
At 8 weeks old my dd was taking 6 to 7 oz a feeding. Never heard of a certain amount. I gave her what she needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Are you just going by the fact that he's crying and calms down when you but a bottle in his mouth that this means he's hungry?
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Also, how did you know you were only producing 3 oz of breastmilk? You know pumping is not at all indicative of how much milk baby can get when he nurses right? Ladies can successfully nurse twins and never be able to pump one drop.
lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM
This.

Quoting Shelby212302:

I've never heard that rule, and I feed on demand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stargaze281
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM

well i can say, feed your baby the amount he wants. What bottle brand do you use? What formula is he drinking? and make sure its slow flow nipple. I used to use playtex nurser.  :-)

mcarsel89
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I spent several days at the LCs doing weigh nurse weigh checks. The most he got from me was 1/2 oz. I have tubular breasts and was examined by my doctor and he suggested I have IGT. It was evident that I do have IGT when I stopped pumping. Only a small portion of each breast was even remotely hard. I do not have the milk ducts needed to produce milk. My body was making all that it could. I took Reglan, Dom, every herbal supplement possible. Trust me, I tried HARD. I was constantly sobbing and starting to resent my baby for refusing the breast. So, one day I thought which would be better for my baby? 3 oz of breastmilk a day and a sobbing resentful mother, or homemade formula, a happy loving mom, and milk from a donor mom??

Quoting stepconfused182:

Also, how did you know you were only producing 3 oz of breastmilk? You know pumping is not at all indicative of how much milk baby can get when he nurses right? Ladies can successfully nurse twins and never be able to pump one drop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)