Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

5 New Year's Resolutions Every Mom Should Make - What are YOUR resolutions for the new year?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM
  • 60 Replies
29 moms liked this

5 New Year's Resolutions Every Mom Should Make

Posted by Aunt Becky on December 28, 2012 

Being a parent is a tough gig. Whether it's staying up all night with a teething baby or trying to juggle time between soccer practice and a gymnastics meet and getting your kids fed, there's a ton of stress. Sometimes, it seems never ending.

"They grow up so fast," people exclaim, when you tell them how tired you are, as though that's somehow going to negate the guilt you already feel for not enjoying every! second! of parenthood!

In that vein, here are the top five new year's resolutions each parent should make this year.

1) I will not feel guilty about not being Wonder Woman. Just because I grew up wearing a Wonder Woman training bra does not mean I need to -- or can -- do all of the things all of the time. I am one person and I refuse to allow guilt to ruin my life.

2) I will incorporate physical activity into my everyday life. I don't need a gym membership -- I can simply park farther away, do some yoga on my Wii Fit, and make sure to get up every 45 minutes and work out at my desk.

3) I will make time each day that's my own. Whether that means a 20-minute drive alone, a hot bath, time at a real (gasp!) gym, or time to read a book, I need some time to be me.

4) I will not tolerate those who treat me poorly. Whether it's my friends, my family, or my husband, I will not stand for it. It's not good for me, and it's not good for my children to watch someone else treat me poorly. It will stop now.

5) I will accept that I do not enjoy every moment of parenting and I will embrace it. Nothing is perfect, why would parenting be any different? I will savor the fun times and handle the others with grace and dignity, but never again will I feel shame for not enjoying every moment.

What are YOUR resolutions for the new year?

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM
4 moms liked this

Thank you for the resolutions suggestions!

I want to exercise more, to eat fewer sweets. To be more careful with the budget.

faelynn.oswald
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:39 AM
2 moms liked this

amen sister!! couldn't think of any better resolutions than that. :)

MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:00 AM
2 moms liked this
I resolve to work on my addictions to rise above them for my kids and make healthy choices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbyland1986
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Looks good to me gonna have to use them
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DeannaR030307
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM
3 moms liked this
#4..... For me that says it all right there, I havd a 21 daughter who is struggling with worth issues that are resulting in poor choices for her and her girls, believing if somehow she can learn to live with negative and verbal abuse like her mom did ( aka me) she can give her girls a good life, but what.she doesn't get and now I got it is us as moms the way we carry ourselves and the way we allow others to treat us is what they strive to be...KIDS LEARN WHAT THEY LIVE!
little.worthen
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Bump
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Get the kids more involved in the running of the house... Helping with chores and stuff

Momforhealth
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:13 AM
1 & 4 are high on my list.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

That means I can be a real mom! Thanks for letting me know I can be me:-)

deadlights86
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:25 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't make resolutions I think of a skill or hobby I would like to learn and do it. This year I would like to learn to can veggies and meats. We will have a nice garden and I don't want it going to waste.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN