Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

chores or labor for my son

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: what age should a child start to clean after themselves (not others)

Options:

1-2 years

3-4 years

5-6 years

7+

never

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

my son will be five in 3 weeks.... I just started teaching him how to fold and hang hes own clothes and i also taught him how to clean the toilet seat when he pees on it by accident... he offers to clean the bathroom and i tell him no. so he does enjoy to clean with me.

my daughter that's one years old picks up the toys with her brother

is this labor or small chores to start out a good cleaning habit .

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM

As soon as they can walk they clean up their own toys.

-PB
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM

My dd started taking baby wipes and wiping random things around the house when she was two.  It think she was just copying mommy.  She is 3 now and will help clean when instructed but I wonder at what age they should do it consistantly.  Like get a list of chores type of thing.  idk

prieta05
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM
My 5 yr old folds his clothes, takes the clothes off the washer, trys an effort to help me wash the dishes,

My 3 yr old she picks the toys, puts the shoes & clothes where they all go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oahoah
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I have 3 boys (8,5,3) and they each have chores: the older boys take turns bringing down laundry, sorting and loading - I measure the soap & fabric softener but they can pour it in), then switching from washer to dryer and removing from dryer, folding and putting away.  My 3 y/o helps with laundry and puts his own away. They all take turns feeding/watering the dog; watering plants; emptying trash; cleaning bathroom (I use baking soda & vinegar so I don't have to worry about them smelling or touching chemicals); and obviously the little things like picking up their toys. Sometimes they will vacuum and sweep.  I am trying to be more consistent with getting their help at cleaning the kitchen table before and after dinner.

I think the younger you start the easier it will be. My oldest is the most resistant to chores and he often gets assigned more chores because of this.

heidi749
by Canadian on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Small chores is what they are doing not labour work. It is better to start them early, then later. Starting later with them IMO, does make them feel as tho you are making them "work", not something they have just learned out of habbit, from being told to do chores from a young age.

My sister the other day, sent my 9 year old nephew out to shovel at her place.  I told her I may get charged with having a child do hard labour, if I had him shovel here lol. She has gotten maybe 5 cm tops there, so not much to shovel, we have 70cm here now, with more to come.

newyorkmom92
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Lol awwww.... Yeh i keep it small for now. Thats why i tell him he cant clean the bathroom yet... He does so much already

Quoting heidi749:

Small chores is what they are doing not labour work. It is better to start them early, then later. Starting later with them IMO, does make them feel as tho you are making them "work", not something they have just learned out of habbit, from being told to do chores from a young age.

My sister the other day, sent my 9 year old nephew out to shovel at her place.  I told her I may get charged with having a child do hard labour, if I had him shovel here lol. She has gotten maybe 5 cm tops there, so not much to shovel, we have 70cm here now, with more to come.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dqnana
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as you don't expect perfection while they are learning ... it doesn't get any better than what you are doing!!

DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM

If you teach them from the beginning to clean up after themselves, they'll be less likely to think of it as punishment or as a "chore". They think of it as part of playing with their toys. My kids were all taught to do their own laundry and clean their rooms as part of their normal day to day life. I started teaching my oldest to do his own laundry when he was in the second grade because I kept finding clean clothes that I had laid out for him in the laundry basket. He didn't want to wear what I laid out so he tossed them in the laundry and got something else. The other kids I started when they were even younger--around 5. They were all taught to clean their rooms and pick up their toys from the beginning. I think you're doing great! Teach them early and avoid those struggles later on.

jl89
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I think just basic cleaning (no chemicals) can be started early. My daughter is only 9 months, but I figure that when she starts walking and putting things in buckets (like that toys with the shapes you can put the shapes in the bucket) that will tell me she is ready to pick up her toys and put them in her toy box. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)