Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

wean onto cow milk

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM
  • 27 Replies

hi everyone this is my first post! thank you for letting me join this forum and I hope I can help when needed as much as you will help me :)

anyway the health visitor told me I can start weaning my 10 month baby onto cow milk and let him be exclusive cow milk by 11 month but not sure hows the best way to do it. He has had yoghurt and today he had cow milk with baby cereal which he loves. I gave him a bottle of milk and brought it out when I thought he would take it but he tried to get my milk occassionally he will drink from the bottle but not much (only drank half of bottle in a day so I have a long way to go!)

is there an easy way to do it? or what I can do to help him a bit? or what? 

many thanks for any advice 

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

When I switched from formula to milk, I did it gradually.  I'd replace 1/4 of the formula in the bottle with milk . .  . then a week later, half of it, then a week later, 3/4 of it.  So, it was a full-month before I completed the switch.

Good luck!

kirbyland1986
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM

thats a bit hard as i breastfeed him so hes drinking from me - wont even touch a bottle with breastmilk or formula so its a bit hard to do it gradually! 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Why would they tell you to wean a baby before a year? Cows milk is made for a baby cow, not a human infant. It doesn't have the right composition and is way too high in sodium for a baby under 1 year. This can be very hard on their kidneys. Hold off until at least 12 months. What is a "health visitor"? What are the credentials? If you are breastfeeding, there is absolutely zero reason to wean right now and a million reasons to keep breastfeeding. You will be doing more harm than good if you wean now. 

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM

People don't *need* cows milk. Our bodies aren't meant to digest it. You could try almond or Coconut milk and not have to worry about hormones or antibiotics the cows were given going into your milk.

*I would NOT wean at 10 months. I would let baby nurse till they are ready, and after 1 year old start introducing other liquids, like water or almond milk, in a sippy cup, along with breastmilk. 

I wish someone would have told me this when my daughter was younger. We have totally switched to ALmond milk now. And it has twice as much calcium as milk. 

stargaze281
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

well if you really wanna wean him to cows milk in a bottle, then try choosing bottles that are more natural shaped. What bottle brand do you give him? I used to use the playtez nurser for a while and then switched to tommee tippee bottles.

christineT79
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you breastfeeding? If so he dosnt need any cow's milk. If your not ready to wean then he can still have your milk along with water & solids.

CrimsonGrace
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Use a sippy cup instead of a bottle mix some pumped milk with it at first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Just start offering bottle with breast milk in it only, then slowly add cows milk. Do what feels right for you, if you'd like to be done with breast feeding, that's FINE, if not that's fine too. Don't let anyone make you feel badly either way.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too, that worked out very well.

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

When I switched from formula to milk, I did it gradually.  I'd replace 1/4 of the formula in the bottle with milk . .  . then a week later, half of it, then a week later, 3/4 of it.  So, it was a full-month before I completed the switch.

Good luck!

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
If your baby doesn't drink from a bottle at all, don't start now! It will be 10 times easier not to have to wean him off that in a couple months! Will he drink from a cup at all? Start giving him some water or expressed breastmilk in a cup to get him used to it. Of course it's ok to stop breastfeeding whenever you're ready, but he needs formula or breastmilk until he turns 1.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN