Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

hi everyone this is my first post! thank you for letting me join this forum and I hope I can help when needed as much as you will help me :)

anyway the health visitor told me I can start weaning my 10 month baby onto cow milk and let him be exclusive cow milk by 11 month but not sure hows the best way to do it. He has had yoghurt and today he had cow milk with baby cereal which he loves. I gave him a bottle of milk and brought it out when I thought he would take it but he tried to get my milk occassionally he will drink from the bottle but not much (only drank half of bottle in a day so I have a long way to go!)

is there an easy way to do it? or what I can do to help him a bit? or what? 

many thanks for any advice 

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
4kids4tara
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:22 PM

If you are happy breastfeeding then do not stop. Breastfeeding is great. If you want to stop, that is fine, too. Babies should be on breast milk or formula until 1 year of age, though. Go from breast to sippy cup, do not start with bottles now!

emmy526
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

agreed....you don't want to start another habit you're going to have to break in 6mos....go right to a cup

Quoting 4kids4tara:

If you are happy breastfeeding then do not stop. Breastfeeding is great. If you want to stop, that is fine, too. Babies should be on breast milk or formula until 1 year of age, though. Go from breast to sippy cup, do not start with bottles now!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this
This. I don't give cows milk at all, we nurse for a minimum of two years.

I wouldn't give milk, especially not in a bottle at that age. Maybe water in a cup with a straw?

Quoting christineT79:

Are you breastfeeding? If so he dosnt need any cow's milk. If your not ready to wean then he can still have your milk along with water & solids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I would wait until closer to a year old and go straight to a sippy cup.  Its a pain in the butt trying to get them off of a bottle and they are suppose to be off the bottle by one year anyway.  You can start now by putting breast milk in a sippy now maybe just at meal time.  At one year start mixing breast milk with cows milk in the sippy.

christineT79
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Quoting Randi02:

This. I don't give cows milk at all, we nurse for a minimum of two years.

I wouldn't give milk, especially not in a bottle at that age. Maybe water in a cup with a straw?

Quoting christineT79:

Are you breastfeeding? If so he dosnt need any cow's milk. If your not ready to wean then he can still have your milk along with water & solids.

I plan on doing the same. I just had my first & I'm breastfeeding & plan on nursing as long as I can. I'm gonna do Baby led solids & no cow's milk for a very long time if ever. I like Almond milk. I'm not a fan of cow's milk.

piwife
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
That is so not true. First of alll formula or breastmilk should be your child's main source of nutrition. If I were you I would just let your baby keep nursing. I plan to child led wean my baby almost 8 mts. If you want to wean by a year, drop one feeding per week. And you don't have to give cow milk is not needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbyland1986
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM

wow! thanks for all that ... but before you jump down my back and some of you trying to make me feel guilty! my son has his 5th tooth coming through and he bits me everytime he's milk (if you have any ideas to stop him doing that I be happy to keep going - he also wakes up about 2-4 times in the night!)... and health visitor just thought it help and she said it be fine to start him having it!

health visitor is like a midwife but for after birth! (

he wont take formula or breastmilk in a bottle/sippy cup. we use beaker for juice/water and while trying cow milk! 

piwife
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM
What do you do when he bites? As for waking up thru the night my kids are 6,4 and 8 mts... non of them sleep thru the night. So him waking up 2-4 times a night is normal. if you want to wean then wean, but domt do bottles also don't start weaning till 11 mts. No matter what if you wean is one feeding drop per week. If you want to continue nursing time to teach nursing manners

Quoting kirbyland1986:

wow! thanks for all that ... but before you jump down my back and some of you trying to make me feel guilty! my son has his 5th tooth coming through and he bits me everytime he's milk (if you have any ideas to stop him doing that I be happy to keep going - he also wakes up about 2-4 times in the night!)... and health visitor just thought it help and she said it be fine to start him having it!

health visitor is like a midwife but for after birth! (

he wont take formula or breastmilk in a bottle/sippy cup. we use beaker for juice/water and while trying cow milk! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbyland1986
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:03 AM
Well biting kind way so painful I have to take it out as so painful but I been having this for nearly a month tried everything to stop him

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
raye-chan
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry I can't really help :( my son is lactose intolerant so he shares mommy's soy or almond milk with me once in awhile.

Here's a bump though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)