Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How to discipline an 11 month old?!

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:48 PM
  • 15 Replies
My son can be so defiant, its ridiculous at times. I understand he's a baby and doesnt fully understand when I say "no" or "enough".. but there are a lot of times that its obvious he's intentionally being disobedient because I told him not to do something. He's been going through this hitting in the face thing where he keeps smacking me or his father in the face no matter how many times we nicely say no. I've even held his arm down so he couldnt hit me, but as soon as I let his arm go, he hits me again! I don't even know where he got the hitting from! I'm a stay at home mom so its not like he got it from watching other kids (that I know of anyway). I'm at a point where I just don't know what to do when he acts like that
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
When he hits you put him down. Stop saying no, he thinks your reactions are just a game.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adams-Mommy
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM
I've tried putting him down when he does it. But then he sits there balling his eyes out until I pick him up again. That makes him stop most of the time, but there are times he does it again as soon as I do pick him up!
LoveMyLos
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

you don't discipline an 11 month old. he has no idea. 

put him down when he hits you and pick him up when hes calm and happy.

LoveMyLos
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

then put him back down again as soon as he does it. he'll get it..

Quoting Adams-Mommy:

I've tried putting him down when he does it. But then he sits there balling his eyes out until I pick him up again. That makes him stop most of the time, but there are times he does it again as soon as I do pick him up!

catngabsmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM
2 moms liked this

with an 11 month old it isn't discipline that is used or needed, it is consistency and redirection. he hits, you firmly say "no hitting" and set him down, he will cry because he is not verbal enough to ask why or process why you set him down, when he stops crying you pick him back up again, if he hits, you do it over again. the consistency of behavior vs consequence he will learn that hitting is not allowed. then he will move onto some other exploratory, getting to know the world around him type behavior that will need the same type of method. also be sure to praise him when he uses gentle and nice touches so he gets to know the difference between the two. it is all a part of his learning the world around him and how it works, you see a child that is misbehaving, but in reality it is a new human that is still learning!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you worked with him about gentle touch vs hitting?   You show him gentle touch by rubbing his face or rubbing an arm.  When he hits you set him down for 1-2 minutes. Then you can try holding him again.  If he hits again, you say OW in a loud firm serious voice and put him back down.  He is old enough you can walk away for a moment as well to let yourself calm down.

Adams-Mommy
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM
No I haven't tried showing him the difference of gentle vs hitting.. but ill def give that a try! I know I can't "discipline" him, but I just don't know how to go about teaching the difference is what I really meant in my question.
emmy526
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM

disraction is your best friend at this point....when he does it the first time, tell him 'ouch', take his hand, while telling him ouch, and then put him down with his toys....after a couple weeks, he should get the idea

yayay15
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
You redirect. He's 11 months old. You can't discipline him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly this.  He's bawling his eyes out because he doesn't want to be put down.  But this is how he'll learn not to do the things that get him put down.  And some babies learn easily while others require MANY repetitions. 

It took my boy a LONG time to learn stuff like this.  If he hit me when we were someplace where I couldn't put him down, I'd carry him high over my shoulder.  He couldn't see my face so it had the same effect.

Quoting LoveMyLos:

then put him back down again as soon as he does it. he'll get it..

Quoting Adams-Mommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)