Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I'm terrified my son will be over weight...

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM
  • 37 Replies

Just FYI, this is not bashing over weight people. I myself am hefty now that I've had a baby, but working on it!

My husband is a very large man and I'm scared our son will develop his habits. He's 7 weeks old and I'm already obsessing about his eating and possibly over-feeding. I am making the WAP homemade baby formula and he is going to eat the Weston A Price way and low on refined carbohydrates, which is how I eat.

My husband was raised on deli chinese food and rarely got a home cooked meal (when he did, there was 5 casseroles to eat and she did not like left overs). His mother made/makes food a never ending thing by filling the plate again before it is empty. It doesn't matter how much is on his plate, my husband WILL finish it. I am so scared my son will see that and do the same. He also got rice cereal at 3 weeks old and his brother got it the day he was born, which I think contributed more to their weight than anything.

All that I can do is set an example for him by eating slowly, leaving food on my plate, and losing the extra weight. I do not want to constantly worry about my weight in front of him. I don't want him to constantly worry about his.

I feel like it's a catch-22. I don't want to obsess and cause him to obsess, but I don't want him to over-eat and be really heavy. I don't want him to have those health problems and low self-esteem. I want so much more for him.

Don't get me wrong. My husband is a wonderful man/father/provider. I have nagged and nagged, but I can't force him to do anything. All I can do is change myself.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Stop stressing im huge my hubby is small my kids are average well 1 is skinny bones lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM
I agree with pp... Stop stressing... Maybe see a nutritionist, for ideas for heathy meals the whole family will enjoy. Set a good example, get your kids involved (meal planning and prep).

I would suggest not making candy and junk "off limits" but a "sometimes treat". The kids I know who were NEVER allowed to have junk went hog wild as soon as they could. If you can encourage good choices you'll be fine. I have 4 and 2 year olds that choose broccoli over fries often (fries are a sometimes treat when we go out- thoughost of the time they choose broccoli or celery).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Change all your habits and your child will pick up good habits instead of bad ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM

We adopted our now 4 year old daughter, and her BM was rather large.  We were concerned also, but we feed her healthy and her weight is perfect.

sabrtooth1
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

NO HOMEMADE baby formula can contain all the necessary vitamins, minerals, lipids, hormones, etc that an infant needs.  If you are concerned about formula, then BREAST FEED.  BREAST FED BABIES ARE NOT OVERWEIGHT.  You are putting you infant's health at risk because of your obsessions.  Call LaLeche. Talk to your pediatrician.  Talk to a psychiatrist. 

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:48 PM

How old are all your children?   Children need carbohydrates for growth.   You need to lead by example by eating well balanced meals and keeping active.  If hubby does not want to eat the healthier foods at least make him take a family walk twice a day even if it is snowing or raining out.  That is what they make winter coats, raincoats and umbrellas for.  There is no such thing as an overweight infant.  They all follow their own curves.  I have known babies who were breastfed that were larger as well as formula fed babies that were smaller.  Each child has their own way to grow.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:48 PM
2 moms liked this
The largest obese baby I have ever seen was breast fed so that is just not true.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

NO HOMEMADE baby formula can contain all the necessary vitamins, minerals, lipids, hormones, etc that an infant needs.  If you are concerned about formula, then BREAST FEED.  BREAST FED BABIES ARE NOT OVERWEIGHT.  You are putting you infant's health at risk because of your obsessions.  Call LaLeche. Talk to your pediatrician.  Talk to a psychiatrist. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pinksocks99
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I worry like you do. i have always been overweight, until i found out i was pregnant.. i was at the best size in my life! but since I got pregnant and had her. i dont want my daughter to be over weight like i was.. I struggled a lot and was made fun of. But, try to stay postive and i would check with the dr to see if your baby is eating normal. I know that i watch my daughters intake and make sure shes not over eating. My daughter eats every 4 hours, eating 4-5 oz. Sometimes she will wait 5 hours. My cousin had a baby a month before me and he eats 6-7 oz every 3 hours!

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Your baby is 7 weeks old?  Babies need fat for their brains to develop properly.  I don't think it's wise to put a baby on a diet!

mcarsel89
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I'm sorry but nowhere in my post did I say I was going to put my baby on a diet. My baby eats the Weston A Price homemade baby formula made from raw milk and cream. Plenty of fats and oils added in to resemble mother's milk. I don't believe in low fat diets. period. I eat low-carb high-fat and feel the best I ever have in my life.

Quoting jabs54:

Your baby is 7 weeks old?  Babies need fat for their brains to develop properly.  I don't think it's wise to put a baby on a diet!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)