Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How to Tell Child She Can't Play With Neighbor Anymore

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:26 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm trying to figure out how best to tell my almost 5 year old daughter she won't be playing with her little girlfriend next door anymore.

It wasn't my choice, it was the girl's mother or maybe the little girl, I don't know.  Nothing happened as far as I can tell.  They really liked playing together.  We had made plans to take the girls trick or treating and  the day before she blew me off via email (after I initially contacted her twice to confirm our plans) saying they decided to go somewhere else. Sorry. I was annoyed as this wasn't the first incidence of flakiness. I thanked her for letting me know, and said we would try to find someone else to go with, otherwise my daughter would be very disappointed. I also mentioned that we also had other offers, but declined because we already had plans with the neighbors.  After that, she's been avoiding us, even went back into her house one day when she saw me pulling out of my driveway.

It's not a problem for me.  Problem is my daughter just loves her little neighbor friend and keeps asking if she can go knock on her door and ask her to play.  I find the situation awkward so I just keep making excuses like she's not home, we have too much to do right now, etc.

I don't quite know how to tell my  little girl they don't want to play with her anymore.

Any advice?

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Just be honest with her life is rough just tell her they dont want to be friends anymore:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Radellia
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Just tell her the truth as far as you know it, for some reason they are always busy, that you don't know when or if she will see her friend again

LittleBirdFly
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:33 PM

maybe this other mom feels very bad about canceling plans with you for Halloween? Maybe she thinks you are very mad at her? I would just talk to her and see whats up.

Gbella41408
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Thanks. That's true. Life can be rough and we all realize that sooner or later.   :(

Gbella41408
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM

THanks for the advice

Gbella41408
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I did consider that and still will. If we were more like friends, I would not hesitate, but I've gotten so many mixed signals from her, I just don't know what to think.

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM
I'd just call her up and tell her that your child wants to play with her child and you need to know what to tell her what to her.
Sometimes we adults have to put our personal differences aside and "play nice" for our kids sake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM
That happened to my dd this summer. I told her I didn't know why her friend didn't want to play with her anymore. She tried to ask me what was wrong with her, that Leslie wouldn't play anymore. I asked if she did something bad? No. Did she hurt Leslie? No. Well, then you didn't do anything, sweetheart. Maybe she has a problem she needs to work out at home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Gbella41408
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM

:(  That makes me sad.  I guess this is just life.  Sometimes I want to save her from some of the pains I experienced in chilhood, but I guess that's impossible.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Idk if that's even the case.

Sometimes people just aren't matching up anymore. Just distract and find new friends. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN