Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Anyone Ever Take Codeine Cough Syrup While Pregnant?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi,  I'm 5 mos preg and have a horrible horrible cold.  I have this awful nonstop cough and have not slept for 4 nights.  I called my Oby and she advised me to take Robitussin for the cough. At that point it wasn't a very bad cough.  Several sleepless nights later, the Robitussin has done nothing. I called back and spoke with the on call Dr. and explained my situation. he said there was nothing more that could be done.  I'm vaporing, drinking honey lemon water, you name it, I'm trying.  I'm in absolute misery.

I called a friend who is a family practice Dr. (and a mom) who lives in another state. She said that if I had gone into her clinic with the symptoms I'm describing she would give me Codeine cough syrup.  I also took it sparingly during my last pregnancy as I was in the same situation.  I already had some on hand from before. My Oby office at that time said it was ok to take sparingly and not long term.

I guess I'm just a little confused about whos right here.  I don't want to harm the fetus, but I also need to get better, and that's kind of hard to do if I'm not able to sleep at all.

Anybody taken Codeine cough syrup during pregnancy?  What was your experience?

THanks for your advice

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Idk enough about that to advise you on that. If they said it was okay in the past I suppose it's fine now...

carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Hi there,

I'd say your best advice would be to contact your doctor. Come back and share how you're doing.

Quoting Gbella41408:

Hi,  I'm 5 mos preg and have a horrible horrible cold.  I have this awful nonstop cough and have not slept for 4 nights.  I called my Oby and she advised me to take Robitussin for the cough. At that point it wasn't a very bad cough.  Several sleepless nights later, the Robitussin has done nothing. I called back and spoke with the on call Dr. and explained my situation. he said there was nothing more that could be done.  I'm vaporing, drinking honey lemon water, you name it, I'm trying.  I'm in absolute misery.

I called a friend who is a family practice Dr. (and a mom) who lives in another state. She said that if I had gone into her clinic with the symptoms I'm describing she would give me Codeine cough syrup.  I also took it sparingly during my last pregnancy as I was in the same situation.  I already had some on hand from before. My Oby office at that time said it was ok to take sparingly and not long term.

I guess I'm just a little confused about whos right here.  I don't want to harm the fetus, but I also need to get better, and that's kind of hard to do if I'm not able to sleep at all.

Anybody taken Codeine cough syrup during pregnancy?  What was your experience?

THanks for your advice

jeepygirl
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Double check with your Dr. That said,  my OB wrote me a scrip for the codeine cough syrup and I'm taking it as directed.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM
No, a more mild over the counter one and even then, I took it only at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I did. I had pnumonia and was coughing to the point of it causing mild contractions. I took it and that stuff was a godsend.

Gbella41408
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm calling my OB again to see if they'll give me something....

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Codeine is a C in the pregnancy risk category. This means, risk to the fetus cannot be ruled out and should not be taken unless the benefits greatly outweigh the risks, such as the lady above who had pneumonia which was causing contractions from coughing. Have you tried a vaporizor and putting vicks on your feet? This is a home remedy that seems to work for some. Hope you feel better soon! Nothing is more miserable than being sick and pregnant.... except being sick with a newborn! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN