Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

cable....

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM
  • 19 Replies
Dh wants to cancel dish & is wanting to get some Rokus & maybe get hulu. We watch local channels, Disney for kiddos, & for movies we Netflix or redbox.
I'm kind of hesitant, we've talked about it for about 6 months & I keep putting it off. My main guilty pleasure is General Hospital, & prime time shows.
Can you mammas help me out & give me your pro's & con's. Maybe give me other subscriptions that I didn't think of that may be better?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:05 PM

General Hospital is on Hulu.  That's what we did.  We cut the cable and use Hulu and Netflix to watch TV and movies.  You don't need a DVR because it's all web based.  A lot of the shows don't even expire or if they do it's a week or more before they do.  

I haven't really found any cons.  Maybe Hulu doesn't have CBS, but you can go to the CBS website for those shows.  Oh, a lot of Hulu's stuff is web only, meaning you can only watch it on the computer.  If you have an HDMI port or something similar you can just hook it up to your TV and watch it that way :)

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Mayra99
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Hmm, my computer is old, so hulu wouldn't work. I wonder if it would work on the tab or Wii? That's a big con for me if not :-(

Quoting jillbailey26:

General Hospital is on Hulu.  That's what we did.  We cut the cable and use Hulu and Netflix to watch TV and movies.  You don't need a DVR because it's all web based.  A lot of the shows don't even expire or if they do it's a week or more before they do.  

I haven't really found any cons.  Maybe Hulu doesn't have CBS, but you can go to the CBS website for those shows.  Oh, a lot of Hulu's stuff is web only, meaning you can only watch it on the computer.  If you have an HDMI port or something similar you can just hook it up to your TV and watch it that way :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Ahhhhh!!

If dh didn't like so many sports and pay per view fights I'd get rid of it altogether.

We spent years with suddenlink then to direct tv and now we're debating going back to suddenlink. Crazy.

Op, Idk how to find your shows but good for you. Get rid of it!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree! I love prime!

Between prime and Netflix and then streaming from the network websites, I'm pretty much covered.

Quoting luvemboth:

We canceled dish and just went with Amazon Prime (similar to Netflix instant streaming). We had to give up a lot of our fav shows, but it still has a ton of free shows & movies. I'm really happy with our switch because we went from paying $80/ month to $80/ year!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahlovesLiz
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:29 AM

We were able to get Hulu through our Wii or Xbox 360, I don't rembember which.  I liked it a lot, but I do so love cable!  lol  Charter cable are difficult people to deal with, so any other source may be better.  We have it now, but do not recommend them.  Customer service is not their strong suit if you have a problem.  Other than that, gl!  We like hulu and netflix as well, but we get netflix for free.  :)

elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
We stream both Hulu and Netflix through both our wii and our ps3. Anything we can't get we can find online. We are good with the switch and financially it is much cheaper!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
black_sun99
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this

One big thing to remember about using any of the Internet services is how many gb of data do you get?  If your Internet service is only for say 15gb then you won't be able to watch much without going over and incurring charges.  I didn't think about that when I got Netflix. I personally like my cable and I'm looking to upgrade.  LOL

littlecolton07
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:03 AM

We stream Hulu and Netflix through the Wii and I also have it on my Kindle so I can watch it there too. I love it.

kayjayjess
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:08 AM

We watch Hulu and Netflix through our PS3 and our Wii

Quoting Mayra99:

Hmm, my computer is old, so hulu wouldn't work. I wonder if it would work on the tab or Wii? That's a big con for me if not :-(

Quoting jillbailey26:

My children are the source of my strength, frustration, happiness, insanity, sanity, irritability.  They are the definition of unconditional love.

Supermum311
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Quoting baquick:

I agree! I love prime!

Between prime and Netflix and then streaming from the network websites, I'm pretty much covered.

Quoting luvemboth:

We canceled dish and just went with Amazon Prime (similar to Netflix instant streaming). We had to give up a lot of our fav shows, but it still has a ton of free shows & movies. I'm really happy with our switch because we went from paying $80/ month to $80/ year!

I agree with baquick. Especially Netflix, its so convenient and you can choose your own show without commercials! Score!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)