Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

New Year, New You Challenge Day 4: Get Organized!

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:26 PM
  • 199 Replies

Welcome to Day 4 of the New Year, New You Challenge!

It's a new year and time for a new beginning which means it's the perfect time to clear the clutter and bring order to the chaos to your home and life. Containers and closet organizers can work wonders to keep things neat and tidy, calendars can help you track appointments, and lists can make it easier to keep up with everything you need to do each day.

Do you make yourself "to do" lists? What's your secret for keeping things neat and organized?

writingOne member who signs up for our New Year, New You Challenge and replies to all 7 daily posts will be chosen at random to win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:

Join Our New Year, New You Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card & Bonus Prizes, Too!!

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I'm not big on "to do" lists... Though maybe I'd be more efficient if I used them more often!
campingmomof4
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I am a list person.  I make a to do list all the time.  It is the only way I get stuff straight and done. 

tlcory
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I have been cleaning out 1-2 drawers and closets each day this week while it is cold outside so by spring when I do spring cleaning I can just focus on scrubbing and cleaning not sorting and organizing.  A lot of people wait until spring to start this but why not do closets and drawers while it is cold out and you are stuck inside anyhow?  

LexRi0709
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a task list app on my phone. I can make multiple lists for my to do's like phone calls or errands, then chores, grocery shopping, authors I like etc. I also have a home management binder. I've tried to use it but for the life of me, I just can't get into the daily habit of it. My phone is much easier. Dh and I also use the Cozi app which a family calender. We all have 1 login and access to the same calender. Everything is on the one calender which works great for us with his work schedule, both our school schedules and dd's school schedule.
malina1975
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I do make myself "to do" lists, normally every week.  Heh, I can't say I am too organized so I'll be looking forward to other mothers' ideas.  A few times a week, I'll set a timer for 15 minutes with my kids and we will all organize and clean until the timer goes off.  That is like pulling teeth though (haha my kids actually don't mind it, but it is like pulling my own teeth.  I hate cleaning!).

RiYahs_MoM
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I have the hardest time staying neat AND organized!!! I call it "Organized Chaos", lol!!

I try to keep things as neat as possible, but when I cant, I make sure that everything is where it should be!! Its such a hassle trying to find things when they arent where they should be!!!

eevers55
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I can't stand to-do lists. I don't know why. But I have been spending this month organizing one room a week. I just did my bathroom yesterday and I threw out so many old containers of stuff I never used anymore, old makeup, etc. I replaced all our toothbrushes and cleaned. Last week was the hallway and the closets. I cleaned out and organized the closet with all of our cleaning supplies. I then organized and cleaned out the closet that serves as our linen/medicine closet. I love being so cleaned and organized. It just feels less stressful.

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I make lists like crazy!  I also give myself a timeline so I don't get behind.

MargauxG
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I tried making a home management binder but its hard to keep up with for me...I really need to get back to it! :)

MommeisQueen
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM
I am a list person. I will make a list or write a note in a second. I put post its on my kitchen pin board, type them in my tablet and even forward emails to myself from myself. It's hard to keep things organized with a family of seven so everyday I'm doing cleaning maintenance and one small organization task or deep cleaning one room or area.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)