Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I need some advise on how to break the habit of a sippie cup at night....UPDATE in pink##

Posted by   + Show Post

My one year old drinks basically a cup (in his sippie cup) of milk at night, i need some tips on how to completely get rid of it. I dont want it anymore. He knows how to drink out of a  straw. Im breaking him from the sippie cup first (day and night) And then i will start sleep training him to sleep on his own, i know he can, he just doesnt want to. There is another baby on the way so a lot of things are about to change. Sooo one other question, how in the world do i deal with the nighttime crying for his sippie cup? I know he can fall asleep without it theres just the problem of him staying asleep without it....what do i do? Advise plz!!!

well i have been brushing his teeeth morning and night and only been giving him water in his sippie cup, and sice i know he can sleep by himself during the day i let him cio till he falls asleep, may seem harsh but thats the only thing that works and not to mention he is almost two, its time to learn to sleep on his own!! He has been throwing a lot of tempers about water :p but i dont give in bc i know it is better for his teeth! :) thanks for all the advise!

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Replies (31-40):
LindaClement
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM

'Defend' myself?

Your information is out of date.

Quoting yperez0209:

Wow, it's amazing to me that you are trying to defend yourself.

But anyway, healthy children that are not neglected and fed properly have no need to be fed during the night.  And you can say what you want, leaving food for a 1 and a half yr old to eat during the night while they are half asleep is dangerous. If they start chewing on a piece of food and fall asleep while there still is some in there mouths they can breath it in and choke on it. It's not brain surgery. And beds are not for eating. We eat like humans at a table for three meals and snacks, not in our beds. We shower in bathtubs not kitchen tables. We brush our teeth in the sink not on the coach. There is a proper place for everything, we are not raising animals. Well, even animals know where to eat and sleep.

Newsflash : there is no " safe foods" that are exempt from what I am saying. Not for the choking or the tooth decay. Other than water, for the teeth thing. Your saying not to give cards.... so lets give our babies some prime rib at 3 am while they are half asleep because it is "safe" and won't cause cavities.

If you give a two yr old who is trying to potty train water during the night it is counter productive. I don't have to get a medical degree to understand that it will make it harder for there bodies to hold that much urine. I know from experience after potty training four kids.

I have never criticised any one's opinion on here but what you are suggesting is down right dangerous to a child. And it's amazing what someone will say to defend even the most ridiculous ideas. If you think you are right, more power to you, but your not.

Quoting LindaClement:

You can disagree all you like: if the child needs to eat, he needs to eat. The clock and the position of the earth relative to the sun (including how many times it's revolved around it since some specific date) are completely irrelevant. Children don't thrive when they're required to wait for unrelated conditions to arise before they can take in nourishment: they stop growing when they should be growing. That is not healthy.

There are a lot of foods that do not risk dental caries, starting with the ones without carbs. Whether or not a child 'starts chewing and then falls asleep' isn't, actually, a 'big choking hazard'. It's chewing while talking and chewing while moving around that offer that. Add esophagus-shaped foods, and the problem is compounded. There is a massive difference in the risks of inhaling food and obstructing breathing. 

Children learn to 'stay dry overnight' when their kidneys begin to concentrate urine in their sleep, so their bladders never become completely full and reflexively expel their contents. You can no more 'train' someone else's kidneys than you can 'train' their spleens, and the idea that it's somehow related to the timing of their intake is ludicrous.

Humans need to stay well hydrated for their systems to function properly ... also no matter what time of the day it is.

Quoting yperez0209:

Sorry Linda, I have to disagree with this one. There is nothing that an almost two yr old can safely eat in the middle of the night without a parent. He can easily startchewing on something and doze off while the food is still in there mouths, big choking hazard. And going back to the cavity issue, your just begging to make the dentist rich and the child toothless. 

Children should be able to get ( unless there is a physical element ) all there nutrition and fluids during the 14 hours they are awake.

OP: even water isn't a great idea, eventually you'll want to potty train and this sippy cup with water will interfere with his ability to stay dry during the night. And then you will have to start over trying to figure out how to phase him out yet again.

uoting LindaClement:

Why bother?

He's growing in his sleep, using almost as much energy as when he's awake. You can either supply him with a bedside snack that he can safely eat alone in the night, or get up and find him some other food when he wakes up hungry.

bellaamore
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM
My daughter wakes and gets a dink around 4 am and goes back to sleep. I don't have an issue with that. I'd love her to sleep through the night but know that's not likely to happen. And if I could get her out my bed, it'd be great.
We are expecting a baby in June and she hates the crib. I'm going to try a toddler bed and see if tht works better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yperez0209
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

lol, you're a piece of work.

Quoting LindaClement:

'Defend' myself?

Quoting yperez0209:

But anyway, healthy children that are not neglected and fed properly have no need to be fed during the night.  And you can say what you want, leaving food for a 1 and a half yr old to eat during the night while they are half asleep is dangerous. If they start chewing on a piece of food and fall asleep while there still is some in there mouths they can breath it in and choke on it. It's not brain surgery. And beds are not for eating. We eat like humans at a table for three meals and snacks, not in our beds. We shower in bathtubs not kitchen tables. We brush our teeth in the sink not on the coach. There is a proper place for everything, we are not raising animals. Well, even animals know where to eat and sleep.

Newsflash : there is no " safe foods" that are exempt from what I am saying. Not for the choking or the tooth decay. Other than water, for the teeth thing. Your saying not to give cards.... so lets give our babies some prime rib at 3 am while they are half asleep because it is "safe" and won't cause cavities.

If you give a two yr old who is trying to potty train water during the night it is counter productive. I don't have to get a medical degree to understand that it will make it harder for there bodies to hold that much urine. I know from experience after potty training four kids.

I have never criticised any one's opinion on here but what you are suggesting is down right dangerous to a child. And it's amazing what someone will say to defend even the most ridiculous ideas. If you think you are right, more power to you, but your not.

Quoting LindaClement:

You can disagree all you like: if the child needs to eat, he needs to eat. The clock and the position of the earth relative to the sun (including how many times it's revolved around it since some specific date) are completely irrelevant. Children don't thrive when they're required to wait for unrelated conditions to arise before they can take in nourishment: they stop growing when they should be growing. That is not healthy.

There are a lot of foods that do not risk dental caries, starting with the ones without carbs. Whether or not a child 'starts chewing and then falls asleep' isn't, actually, a 'big choking hazard'. It's chewing while talking and chewing while moving around that offer that. Add esophagus-shaped foods, and the problem is compounded. There is a massive difference in the risks of inhaling food and obstructing breathing. 

Children learn to 'stay dry overnight' when their kidneys begin to concentrate urine in their sleep, so their bladders never become completely full and reflexively expel their contents. You can no more 'train' someone else's kidneys than you can 'train' their spleens, and the idea that it's somehow related to the timing of their intake is ludicrous.

Humans need to stay well hydrated for their systems to function properly ... also no matter what time of the day it is.

Quoting yperez0209:

Sorry Linda, I have to disagree with this one. There is nothing that an almost two yr old can safely eat in the middle of the night without a parent. He can easily startchewing on something and doze off while the food is still in there mouths, big choking hazard. And going back to the cavity issue, your just begging to make the dentist rich and the child toothless. 

Children should be able to get ( unless there is a physical element ) all there nutrition and fluids during the 14 hours they are awake.

OP: even water isn't a great idea, eventually you'll want to potty train and this sippy cup with water will interfere with his ability to stay dry during the night. And then you will have to start over trying to figure out how to phase him out yet again.

uoting LindaClement:

Why bother?

He's growing in his sleep, using almost as much energy as when he's awake. You can either supply him with a bedside snack that he can safely eat alone in the night, or get up and find him some other food when he wakes up hungry.

LindaClement
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I like watching you living up to your own standards.

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

'Defend' myself?

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

uoting LindaClement:

Why bother?

yperez0209
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM

lol... sticks and stones

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

'Defend' myself?

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

uoting LindaClement:

Why bother?

LindaClement
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Did I say anywhere "I have never criticised any one's opinion on here" or was that you?

Quoting yperez0209:

lol... sticks and stones

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

'Defend' myself?

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

uoting LindaClement:

Why bother?

yperez0209
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM
It was me but in your case what you're suggesting to this mother is not safe. And i rather ruffle some feathers than let it go and possibly have to read a post that says....... My son choked on fishy crackers at 2 am because i followed linda's advise and let him eat unsupervised during the night. Oh wait, before you correct me, not fishy crackers because they are carbs, i left some steak. According you protien doesn't cause cavities.

Quoting LindaClement:

Did I say anywhere "I have never criticised any one's opinion on here" or was that you?

Quoting yperez0209:

lol... sticks and stones

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

'Defend' myself?

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

uoting LindaClement:

Why bother?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Yup, your information is out of date.

What feeds strep mutans?

Quoting yperez0209:

It was me but in your case what you're suggesting to this mother is not safe. And i rather ruffle some feathers than let it go and possibly have to read a post that says....... My son choked on fishy crackers at 2 am because i followed linda's advise and let him eat unsupervised during the night. Oh wait, before you correct me, not fishy crackers because they are carbs, i left some steak. According you protien doesn't cause cavities.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

lol... sticks and stones

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

'Defend' myself?

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

uoting LindaClement:

Why bother?

yperez0209
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM

There is nothing out of date about what I am telling you.  A child can choke on your advise yesterday, today and tomorrow. BTW I'm done intertaining  you. If you like to continue showing off your typing skills be my guest but I know everything I have said is correct and anyone in there right mind would agree. No need to continue writing to a brick wall.

oting LindaClement:

Yup, your information is out of date.

What feeds strep mutans?

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

lol... sticks and stones

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

'Defend' myself?

Quoting yperez0209:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting yperez0209:

uoting LindaClement:

Why bother?

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Meh, my almost 6 year old keeps a cup of water by her bed every single night and has been potty trained since age 3. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night in need of a drink of water. Also, having a cup by their bed isn't necessarily the cause for not being able to potty train. I also don't have an issue with having a late night snack. If a child feels hungry, they should eat. IMO.

Quoting dee1603:

My growing 2yo never had a bedtime snack nor woke up in the middle of the night for one.

This explains why some children can't potty train either. Too much drinks and snacks.

Quoting LindaClement:

A full-grown adult 2yo or the kind that are still growing while they sleep?

Quoting whoodathunk:

Really, for a two year old?

Quoting LindaClement:

Why bother?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)