Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some advise on how to break the habit of a sippie cup at night....UPDATE in pink##

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM
  • 43 Replies

My one year old drinks basically a cup (in his sippie cup) of milk at night, i need some tips on how to completely get rid of it. I dont want it anymore. He knows how to drink out of a  straw. Im breaking him from the sippie cup first (day and night) And then i will start sleep training him to sleep on his own, i know he can, he just doesnt want to. There is another baby on the way so a lot of things are about to change. Sooo one other question, how in the world do i deal with the nighttime crying for his sippie cup? I know he can fall asleep without it theres just the problem of him staying asleep without it....what do i do? Advise plz!!!

well i have been brushing his teeeth morning and night and only been giving him water in his sippie cup, and sice i know he can sleep by himself during the day i let him cio till he falls asleep, may seem harsh but thats the only thing that works and not to mention he is almost two, its time to learn to sleep on his own!! He has been throwing a lot of tempers about water :p but i dont give in bc i know it is better for his teeth! :) thanks for all the advise!

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
true-love-21
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM

BUMP!

Malley
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Have you tried putting water instead of milk in his sippie cup?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I'd put water in it and let him keep it.  Get the milk away...my girlfriends daughter used to sleep with a bottle and her teeth rotted and she had 8 teeth pulled at 3 years old.  They didn't trowel in till almost 7 and she had to have speech therapy since Noone could understand her.  

yperez0209
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
i believe this is one of those times that you have to go cold turkey. It will suck, for a lack of a better word, for a while maybe a week or two but then it will be over. And you will be doing his teeth a big favor. It's terrible that he's using this cup to pacify himself during the night, the milk is hanging out on his teeth, and they will start to root and get cavities. If anything else us this as motivation not to give in when he throws a fit at 3 am.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
indymom72
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM

switch it to water

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I'd put water in it. If you want to get rid of it completely, just start putting less and less water in there each night.

jesuschild06
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM
my sister had that problem. What she did was give them a cup of milk half an hour befor bed time (approx.) and at bedtime gave them water. It took about a week for her son to stop asking and crying for milk. She still gives them water in a sippy cup at night..... Almost a year later. But they never drink it anymore except on super hot nights in the summer. I believe in just cutting cold turkey on things like that. Put up with the crying for the week (or two but normally doesnt take that long) and then its done. When they cry in the middle of the night and you want to atleast check on them (every mom wants to check on their crying baby) and hes fine simply tell him its time for sleep not time for a drink hell get one in the morning. Say goodnight and walk out. Theres no need to pick him up and hold him or anything. On average it takes 3-5 days for kids to realize you arent giving in (as long as you never give in even once.) good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BettyBoop0124
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Yeah I would have to say going cold turkey is the best. It may suck for a week or two however in the end he/she will be better off. If you don't want to do that then try mixing it half with milk and water and gradually put more water than milk in the cup. Then in a couple of weeks I would just fill it with water and see what happens, that way he has time to adjust to the change.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Let him have the sippie, but put only water in it. And in time, nothing.

DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I agree with the other moms. If you can't handle cold turkey right now, then do water in the cup but never milk as it will rot their teeth. Expect some regression when the new baby comes. It's hard on kids to get used to not being the only child sometimes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured