Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

good mother thrown in trash

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM
  • 30 Replies

teenager turned 18 nightmare.  where do I fit in now?

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:42 PM

You'll have to be more specific.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Your post makes no sense.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

dogsrezrr
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:07 PM

sorry to be so unclear, now that my child has turned 18 she believes she can do whatever she pleases. I thought I knew better but apparently she is correct. I can't toss her out for sneaking boys in and out or at least that is what the school, the police and child protective services tell me. If . she got pregnant  I would .be held responsible for the infant as well. If she moved out I would be expected to pay for the roof over her head for all medical care as well as any other living expenses.  If she got into legal problems I would be held responsible for her behavior and provide legal expenses.  It seems  like she can do what she wants now that she is 18, but I am still held responsible and pay the consequences for her "adult" choices yet I no longer have any authority to prevent bad choices. I thought I raised her to be better prepared for this, but it is like she has . forgotten everything she learned. I feel helpless, powerless and so frustrated. I don't know this new person she has become and I don't know how I fit into her life any more.

jesuschild06
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:13 PM
ummm woah wait? Where the heck do you live? Unless she has some serious mental illnesses i dont see why you would be responsible. I have never heard of that. And even then.... If she has serious mental illnesses and 150% disrespects you, you still have a right to discipline or kick her out (though that could be cruel) or send her to a special home.

Quoting dogsrezrr:

sorry to be so unclear, now that my child has turned 18 she believes she can do whatever she pleases. I thought I knew better but apparently she is correct. I can't toss her out for sneaking boys in and out or at least that is what the school, the police and child protective services tell me. If . she got pregnant  I would .be held responsible for the infant as well. If she moved out I would be expected to pay for the roof over her head for all medical care as well as any other living expenses.  If she got into legal problems I would be held responsible for her behavior and provide legal expenses.  It seems  like she can do what she wants now that she is 18, but I am still held responsible and pay the consequences for her "adult" choices yet I no longer have any authority to prevent bad choices. I thought I raised her to be better prepared for this, but it is like she has . forgotten everything she learned. I feel helpless, powerless and so frustrated. I don't know this new person she has become and I don't know how I fit into her life any more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
x_Starr_x
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM
yeah Idk where u live but um USA law is 18 Ur an adult your NOT responsible for her anymore.

Quoting dogsrezrr:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I thought they were considered adults at 18, what a joke that is, but I think you ARE allowed to evict her from your home if she's making poor decisions.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

By the way, don't give up hope, they do a LOT of maturing the next few years and things will probably get better. I would get her that implanted kind of birth control if I were you.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Kick her out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:27 PM
I agree where do you live?
Here when your 18,your parents can say hit the road. When you turn 18 your responsible for your own self. Legally and finances.

Seriously, the police and protective services told you that. I would have told P.S that you'd like them to take her then. They can't because she's an adult.

If you still have to be responsible for her then don't make it so easy. A couple nails on her windows and take the door right off the hinges. Clear out her room and tell her to get a job if she wants the extras. Door gets locked at a certain time. If she's not home that's not your problem.
You are not responsible for her after she turns 18.

Quoting dogsrezrr:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hippiechik3
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Find something that makes you happy an go for it. A mother, good or bad, is always needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN