Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!!! My Dad is really sick....any Cafemom doctors or nurses around? LONG!!! UPDATE!!

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:38 PM
  • 26 Replies

First off I want to say I am not asking for a diagnosis..I just want suggestions or other's experiences with what is going on.

My Dad is 65 yrs old...he has had 3 heart attacks, the first being the worst..it resulted in a triple bypass..he has had stints put in and all that fun stuff...(NOT)..he is now in congestive heart failure, his heart is only functioning at 10%..he is on a number of medicines, the one being the biggest pain is the Lasix...He takes 80-120mgs a day..as well as a "helper" pill, not sure of its name. Well at first the lasix worked well, but now it either doesn't work or works when it wants to...he has not been retaining fluid, or at least he says he isn't..you can't tell because he doesn't swell where it's noticeable(sp?) he retains fluid internally...well now when he takes the Lasix it makes him extremely nauseous or actually sick..

The last few days mainly he has been very weak, pale, dry mouth, shaky, can't seem to keep his eyes open, no energy, no appetite and when I talked to him earlier today he sounded horrible..he almost sounded drunk, he was slurring his words and they were all mumbly sounding.

I have told him time and time again he needs to go to the hospital but he is refusing at the moment. He has an appt with his cardiologist on the 3rd..

Has anyone had any experiences with the congestive heart failure, or the lasix and do you know of any medicines that we can bring up to the doctors that may be able to replace the Lasix...I actually think that his kidneys are starting to go but that's just my guess.

If you made it this far thanks...

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
x_Starr_x
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:41 PM
I don't know any way to put this easily after that much heart surgery there's a time when the heart can take no more I think your father knows what's going on and has accepted it. the best you can do is be there for him. I know it sounds cruel but it can only go so far.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sassygoddess
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I know...he is ready and has been ready for a while...this is going to sound cold..but I wish he would just go and get out of his misery...

Quoting x_Starr_x:

I don't know any way to put this easily after that much heart surgery there's a time when the heart can take no more I think your father knows what's going on and has accepted it. the best you can do is be there for him. I know it sounds cruel but it can only go so far.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:47 PM
I would spend as much time as you can with him right now. It sounds like his body may be shutting down. Im so sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
x_Starr_x
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:50 PM
no not cold at all I've experienced this with my Gpa he had so much done to his heart I'm surprised it was not duct taped together one day he had one last heart attack and died on the porch. just be there for him and make him comfortable as possible.

Quoting sassygoddess:

I know...he is ready and has been ready for a while...this is going to sound cold..but I wish he would just go and get out of his misery...

Quoting x_Starr_x:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:12 PM
FIL had all your dad's issues and more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sassygoddess
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:21 PM

And? How long did it take for him to go? He's only had the congestive heart failure since June and he's been in the hospital just about every 6 weeks since with fluid retention...

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Years actually. He passed away 2 weeks ago. He also had diabetes and emphysema, and leukemia.

Quoting sassygoddess:

And? How long did it take for him to go? He's only had the congestive heart failure since June and he's been in the hospital just about every 6 weeks since with fluid retention...

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM

My dad had it for several years. When he got as bad as your dad sounds he had to go to the hospital to get his meds sorted out again. Call his cardiologist right away, and if you can't contact them, then take him to ER.

sassygoddess
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:34 PM

He won't go to the hospital. I have told him everyday for the last week he needs to go and he won't.  He tells them the lasix isn't working and all they do is up it or add another pill, then he is good for a week or two and his body adjusts to the meds (im guessing) and he starts the downhill process all over again.

He wants to die, so I think he has just given up.

Quoting Bmat:

My dad had it for several years. When he got as bad as your dad sounds he had to go to the hospital to get his meds sorted out again. Call his cardiologist right away, and if you can't contact them, then take him to ER.

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Call 911
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured