Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Casein/Gluten Free Diet for Autistic Child?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:52 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

My child has multiple food allergies (peanuts, tree nuts, dairy and eggs).  I have recently heard that taking gluten out of the diet also would help "relieve" some of the autistic behaviors.  Any idea on if this is true.  I already  have gluten free foods waiting for him to try tomorrow.  I plan on going to the store and getting about 20 days worth to see if it makes a difference.  Just wondering if I am giving it enough days (20) to see any differences with his behavior.  

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:53 PM
my holistic doctor uses an anti Candida diet to help with autism
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Randomlady
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I didn't believe in the diet at first but after about 30+ days we were seeing a lot of different behaviors in him, we had to go 100% GFCF to see any difference as well as feeding him things we knew would make him have a BM to help clear his stomach from the toxins. He is completely different, less meltdowns, consitent bedtime, always wants to play with us now. It is worth it, definitely. And it doesn't have to be expensive either (just the first month when you try to accumulate these items) I suggest buying GFCF noodles and some bob's red mill GFCF baking mixes and it covers almost anything you might need.

GatorLady0307
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Are they safe to eat oats on gluten free?  

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM
you have to buy gluten free oats. I get them from trader Joe's or order from Amazon by Bob's red mill

Quoting GatorLady0307:

Are they safe to eat oats on gluten free?  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Randomlady
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Take a look at this website's nutrition guide http://generationrescue.org/resources/nutrition-guide/ .

It helped us in our transition. Also, if you are in doubt about a single ingredient in a product look it up online before deciding to buy it or give it to your child. From the list of ingredients listed on that webpage you might think nothing is safe but here are a few that you might already have

Ore Ida french fries, and tater tots

Ortega taco seasoning and refried beans

Spagetti sauce without meat (I use francesco rinaldi but Prego and ragu are GFCF)

Rice, quinoa, couscous

corn tortillas

There are actually a lot of items that are naturally GFCF you just have to watch for them.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

white rice noodles taste better than brown rice noodles.  

TempestRayne
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Twenty days may not be enough. Some children can take a few minths to respond to a gluten freee diet, because it can take that long for stomach issues to resolve themselves so that they can begin to process foods appropriately. My son is on a casein free, reduced phenol and limited soy diet. We also limit his food dyes, particularly red dye. I do not know if it has helped him cognitively, but I will say that we noticed a difference within a few days. But, he is not gluten free. Every couple of years, we try the gluten free diet for about a year (he is nine now and was diagnosed when he was two and a half) and didn't notice a difference. It was the removal of casein and limiting phenols and dyes that seemed to do the trick for him.

You should check out books by Karyn Seroussi to get a really good picture of what to do for the diet.
EmilysMom828
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Wow, I am just reading, but what great information from you all... I am going to read up on all of this for my girlie, too!

meliscool72
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:01 AM

I think this might be true because it has been proven that red dye (i forget what number) can cause anger outbursts with children who are autistic so I decided to take the red dyes out of my son's diet and he settled down a bit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured