Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

baby wont extend index fingers..:

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM
  • 4 Replies
My 5 week old constantly has his index fingers curled up. He can extend them and when I uncurl them he doesn't mind, But it seems that their natural relaxed state is balled up against His palms despite His other fingers being normally extended. Should I be concerned or be working with him to straighten them or ignore it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tnt1014
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:07 AM
It's probably nothing to worry about but I would bring it up at his next Dr. Appointment so they know to keep an eye on it. They can also tell you if you should be concerned or not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
robyann
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I doubt at 5 weeks this is anything to be concerned about . They keep their hands in fists alot at first and is starting now to extend his fingers. I'd say he'll start to extend the index fingers within the next few weeks. If your still concerned at his next pedi visit, mention it to the dr.

typingMom to 6~MawMaw to 9 & counting!

meliscool72
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:59 AM

If you think it is something to worry about then call your doctor and get an appointment and ask him what they think. It could just be that that is the way he is starting to develop and he will grow into it.

tictacmama
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:04 AM

At 5 weeks, he is probably just developing normally. I know that early-on after birth most babies clench their fists. But I don't remember the exact time they suppose to stop. If you are worried and want peace of mind, just ask your doctor at your next appt. But I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

GL :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)