Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son has a BAD Temper!! HELP

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM
  • 21 Replies

My son is 2 years old and has a bad temper and honestly he is mean. He likes to punch, smack, kick, hit you. He thinks he is being funny and when I do smack and him and tell him no he don't like it. He'll punch me and then cry and he likes to throw things. DH and I don't undertand how he picked up on this , where he got it from, we don't wrestle with our kids, we don't watch things like that on tv well with him we don't.. How do I stop him? I have tried to smack his and tell him no not nice and make him sit but clearly doesn't work at all.  HELP

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
englebabies
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Wish I could help but my DS's both can be like that. On the up side they have there charming days too. I take it as it's  the age they are in.

Aamy
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Wrestling wont make them hit. We wrestle with DS all the time and he doesnt hit or has a temper. He will be 2 on the 7th.

hailey51207
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Never said it WILL I just know how some kids are, my nephews for example. For some kids it does and some it don't.

Quoting Aamy:

Wrestling wont make them hit. We wrestle with DS all the time and he doesnt hit or has a temper. He will be 2 on the 7th.

hailey51207
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I wish he'd stop it is non stop its everyday. Yes he is charming sometimes but everyday I we go through this. I want it to stop I'm tired of it.

Quoting englebabies:

Wish I could help but my DS's both can be like that. On the up side they have there charming days too. I take it as it's  the age they are in.

Tiff_R_92
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Take anything fun out of his room, toys, tv, etc. Make him go in and sit and stair at the wall.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hailey51207
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Well I mentioned that to DH and he said "No way in hell, you can't do that" that will cause a huge fight.

Quoting Tiff_R_92:

Take anything fun out of his room, toys, tv, etc. Make him go in and sit and stair at the wall.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM
4 moms liked this

He needs a firm time out for 2 minutes. No more smacking him back since for a 2 yr old that is saying hey this is a game who can do it harder to the other person.  

For a proper time out, you give one warning - Do not hit me again, when he does it again, straight to the time out spot and you get down at his face level and firmly explain why he is put there, walk away and set timer.  If he gets up, you walk him back without saying a word. restart the time when he stays in that spot.  When the time is up you go back and explain again why he was placed in time out.  One hug and no carrying him anywhere.  

You do not apologize for anything since you did not warrant the time out, his actions did.   It is never too early to learn impulse control.

Tiff_R_92
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Do you do any sort of punishments? If not you're kinda enabling his bad behaviours, because he knows there will be no consequences.

Quoting hailey51207:

Well I mentioned that to DH and he said "No way in hell, you can't do that" that will cause a huge fight.

Quoting Tiff_R_92:

hailey51207
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I have tried that to &I nothing

Quoting frndlyfn:

He needs a firm time out for 2 minutes. No more smacking him back since for a 2 yr old that is saying hey this is a game who can do it harder to the other person.  

For a proper time out, you give one warning - Do not hit me again, when he does it again, straight to the time out spot and you get down at his face level and firmly explain why he is put there, walk away and set timer.  If he gets up, you walk him back without saying a word. restart the time when he stays in that spot.  When the time is up you go back and explain again why he was placed in time out.  One hug and no carrying him anywhere.  

You do not apologize for anything since you did not warrant the time out, his actions did.   It is never too early to learn impulse control.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM
2 moms liked this

The key is consistency.  It could take weeks as his naughty behaviors have been allowed to continue.  There is no instant fix for teaching children how not to hit others or throw fits when they do not get their own way.  You also may want to talk to a child therapist to gain ideas on how to help him express the emotions he feels when he loses temper.

Quoting hailey51207:

I have tried that to &I nothing

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)