Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

13 month old with constipation issues

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 13 month old has had constipation issues for 2 months now. He wont have a BM or if he does it is always hard balls and he cries when he pushes it out. We have tried giving him prunes and more fruits ( but no bananas anymore) and lots of water like our doctor suggested but nothing is working.  He eats plenty of veggies and fruits and we cut back on pasta and only give him 2-2 1/2 cups of milk a day (whole milk mixed with breast milk) oh and the constipation started before we started giving him whole milk so i don't think that is the problem. Someone at work told me they sometimes give there kid guava juice and I am going to try that but i was wondering if anyone had any other tricks that worked for them?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM

For my kids, apple juice worked. I think every child is different but that's what fixed mine up!

Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM

My kids had to go on Miralax to help them.  Pineapple juice helped a little.  The best thing for my DD was Welch's purple grape juice.  Had to be Welch's and purple. 

Kids have a tendancy that if it hurts to go then they try and hold it the next time and it becomes a vicious cycle.  We had to make it so my DD couldn't hold it.

lapcounter
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Mirlax (sp),.also we had a doctor tell us to put them on the pot backwards have them face the tank they can lean against it and relax more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmccrea
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Apple juice.  I gave my son 1/2 of a FiberPlus bar too, that got everything flowing.  

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Apple juice, prune juice.  You might ask your doctor about giving him miralax or a pediatric laxitive if nothing else works.

Quoting Dvegas:

My 13 month old has had constipation issues for 2 months now. He wont have a BM or if he does it is always hard balls and he cries when he pushes it out. We have tried giving him prunes and more fruits ( but no bananas anymore) and lots of water like our doctor suggested but nothing is working.  He eats plenty of veggies and fruits and we cut back on pasta and only give him 2-2 1/2 cups of milk a day (whole milk mixed with breast milk) oh and the constipation started before we started giving him whole milk so i don't think that is the problem. Someone at work told me they sometimes give there kid guava juice and I am going to try that but i was wondering if anyone had any other tricks that worked for them?

Dvegas
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Has anyone tried childrens benifiber?

confused632
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I was told by my pedi to use a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon brown sugar mixed in a 4 oz of water.  If one bottle/cup doesn't work in 3 to 4 hours to try another.  My son had constipation and it worked like a charm.

Dqnana
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I always used wheat germ.  If you are constipated, it absorbes liquid and softens the stool. If they have diarrhea, it absorbs liquid and firms the stool. I used to mix a few teaspoons into scrambled eggs or applesauce or pudding, etc. You can also ask the doc about Metamucil in juice ... just be sure he gets LOTS of fluid and keeps eating normally.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Suppository
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)